Terry Francona on Red Sox ownership in book: ‘I don’t think they love baseball’
|01.15.13 at 3:47 pm ET|
In an exclusive excerpt from the upcoming book, ‘Francona: The Red Sox Years’ (to be released Jan. 22) released to Sports Illustrated, former Red Sox manager Terry Francona discusses his perception of ownership’s priorities and motivation during Francona’s final few years in Boston.
The book, which is co-authored by Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe, has Francona remembering how the Red Sox’ ownership group hired marketing consultants after the 2010 season. According to the passage in SI, the findings of the consultants resulted in a push by the ownership group to gain more star power.
Former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is quoted on Page 51 as saying, ‘They told us we didn’t have any marketable players. We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. ‘¦ We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be.’
Francona says in the book that the decision to fire him was already made prior to a meeting held one day after the 2011 season in which ownership told him to ‘think about if he wanted to come back.’
Regarding the Red Sox’ ownership group, Francona says in the book, ‘I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners. ‘¦ it’s still more of a toy or hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life.’
The excerpt will run in this week’s edition of Sports Illustrated.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando