Terry Francona on Red Sox ownership in book: ‘I don’t think they love baseball’
|01.15.13 at 3:47 pm ET|
In an exclusive excerpt from the upcoming book, ‘Francona: The Red Sox Years’ (to be released Jan. 22) released to Sports Illustrated, former Red Sox manager Terry Francona discusses his perception of ownership’s priorities and motivation during Francona’s final few years in Boston.
The book, which is co-authored by Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe, has Francona remembering how the Red Sox’ ownership group hired marketing consultants after the 2010 season. According to the passage in SI, the findings of the consultants resulted in a push by the ownership group to gain more star power.
Former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is quoted on Page 51 as saying, ‘They told us we didn’t have any marketable players. We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. ‘¦ We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be.’
Francona says in the book that the decision to fire him was already made prior to a meeting held one day after the 2011 season in which ownership told him to ‘think about if he wanted to come back.’
Regarding the Red Sox’ ownership group, Francona says in the book, ‘I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners. ‘¦ it’s still more of a toy or hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life.’
The excerpt will run in this week’s edition of Sports Illustrated.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies