Shane Victorino the lone Red Sox member of Team USA in World Baseball Classic
|01.17.13 at 10:18 am ET|
Shane Victorino was the only Red Sox player selected as a member of the Team USA squad in this spring’s World Baseball Classic, with other team members such as Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz not taking part in the event.
Pedroia was left off the team after the Sox expressed concerns about his return from hand injuries in 2012. While there weren’t injury concerns with Lester or Pedroia, per se, Team USA selected just four starting pitchers (R.A. Dickey, Ryan Vogelsong, Kris Medlen and Derek Holland), all of whom had much stronger years in 2012 than the two Red Sox starters. However, Team USA does plan to add a fifth starter to the roster.
Victorino, who signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox this offseason, will take part in the WBC for the second time, having also done so in 2009. Victorino is one of four outfielders on the squad, joining Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Mike Stanton. Victorino expressed enthusiasm for his participation via twitter: Honored to represent my country and put this jersey on with #PRIDE! @WBCBaseball #USA #USA #USA
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs