Shane Victorino the lone Red Sox member of Team USA in World Baseball Classic
|01.17.13 at 10:18 am ET|
Shane Victorino was the only Red Sox player selected as a member of the Team USA squad in this spring’s World Baseball Classic, with other team members such as Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz not taking part in the event.
Pedroia was left off the team after the Sox expressed concerns about his return from hand injuries in 2012. While there weren’t injury concerns with Lester or Pedroia, per se, Team USA selected just four starting pitchers (R.A. Dickey, Ryan Vogelsong, Kris Medlen and Derek Holland), all of whom had much stronger years in 2012 than the two Red Sox starters. However, Team USA does plan to add a fifth starter to the roster.
Victorino, who signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox this offseason, will take part in the WBC for the second time, having also done so in 2009. Victorino is one of four outfielders on the squad, joining Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Mike Stanton. Victorino expressed enthusiasm for his participation via twitter: Honored to represent my country and put this jersey on with #PRIDE! @WBCBaseball #USA #USA #USA
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory