Shane Victorino the lone Red Sox member of Team USA in World Baseball Classic
|01.17.13 at 10:18 am ET|
Shane Victorino was the only Red Sox player selected as a member of the Team USA squad in this spring’s World Baseball Classic, with other team members such as Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz not taking part in the event.
Pedroia was left off the team after the Sox expressed concerns about his return from hand injuries in 2012. While there weren’t injury concerns with Lester or Pedroia, per se, Team USA selected just four starting pitchers (R.A. Dickey, Ryan Vogelsong, Kris Medlen and Derek Holland), all of whom had much stronger years in 2012 than the two Red Sox starters. However, Team USA does plan to add a fifth starter to the roster.
Victorino, who signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox this offseason, will take part in the WBC for the second time, having also done so in 2009. Victorino is one of four outfielders on the squad, joining Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Mike Stanton. Victorino expressed enthusiasm for his participation via twitter: Honored to represent my country and put this jersey on with #PRIDE! @WBCBaseball #USA #USA #USA
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?