Shane Victorino the lone Red Sox member of Team USA in World Baseball Classic
|01.17.13 at 10:18 am ET|
Shane Victorino was the only Red Sox player selected as a member of the Team USA squad in this spring’s World Baseball Classic, with other team members such as Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz not taking part in the event.
Pedroia was left off the team after the Sox expressed concerns about his return from hand injuries in 2012. While there weren’t injury concerns with Lester or Pedroia, per se, Team USA selected just four starting pitchers (R.A. Dickey, Ryan Vogelsong, Kris Medlen and Derek Holland), all of whom had much stronger years in 2012 than the two Red Sox starters. However, Team USA does plan to add a fifth starter to the roster.
Victorino, who signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox this offseason, will take part in the WBC for the second time, having also done so in 2009. Victorino is one of four outfielders on the squad, joining Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Mike Stanton. Victorino expressed enthusiasm for his participation via twitter: Honored to represent my country and put this jersey on with #PRIDE! @WBCBaseball #USA #USA #USA
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando