Red Sox avoid arbitration with seven players, including Jacoby Ellsbury
|01.18.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox have announced they came to terms with seven of the eight unsigned arbitration-eligible players Friday, leaving just Craig Breslow as the only one of the group unsigned. According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.com, Breslow filed at $2.375 million, while the Red Sox countered at $2.325 million.
Ellsbury’s deal was the richest of the bunch, at $9 million for 2013. It was the final year of arbitration-eligibility for the outfielder, who was paid $8,050,000 last year after becoming eligible for arbitration for the second time. It was a significant bump in salary from the 2.4 million he made in 2011, due to his breakout 2011 season. Following his memorable 2011 season in which he finished as runner-up in American League MVP voting, Ellsbury suffered through an injury-plagued season in 2012, playing just 74 games. He hit .271/.313/.370 with four home runs and 26 RBIs.
Hanrahan’s deal is for $7.04 million deal, a considerable increase on the $4.1 million the right-hander earned in 2012. Hanrahan, who was arbitration-eligible for the third time this offseason, could earn an additional $60,000 in incentives, according to the website, with $15,000 bonuses for finishing 45, 50, 55 and 60 games.
According to Aceves’ agent Tom O’Connell has told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier that the pitcher’s contract is for $2.65 million.
The other figures for the signees are as follows: Bailey: $4.1 million; Bard: $1.8625 million; Miller: $1.475 million; Morales: $1.4875 million.
The last Red Sox player to go to arbitration was pitcher Rolando Arrojo in 2002.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas