Red Sox avoid arbitration with seven players, including Jacoby Ellsbury
|01.18.13 at 6:08 pm ET|
The Red Sox have announced they came to terms with seven of the eight unsigned arbitration-eligible players Friday, leaving just Craig Breslow as the only one of the group unsigned. According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.com, Breslow filed at $2.375 million, while the Red Sox countered at $2.325 million.
Ellsbury’s deal was the richest of the bunch, at $9 million for 2013. It was the final year of arbitration-eligibility for the outfielder, who was paid $8,050,000 last year after becoming eligible for arbitration for the second time. It was a significant bump in salary from the 2.4 million he made in 2011, due to his breakout 2011 season. Following his memorable 2011 season in which he finished as runner-up in American League MVP voting, Ellsbury suffered through an injury-plagued season in 2012, playing just 74 games. He hit .271/.313/.370 with four home runs and 26 RBIs.
Hanrahan’s deal is for $7.04 million deal, a considerable increase on the $4.1 million the right-hander earned in 2012. Hanrahan, who was arbitration-eligible for the third time this offseason, could earn an additional $60,000 in incentives, according to the website, with $15,000 bonuses for finishing 45, 50, 55 and 60 games.
According to Aceves’ agent Tom O’Connell has told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier that the pitcher’s contract is for $2.65 million.
The other figures for the signees are as follows: Bailey: $4.1 million; Bard: $1.8625 million; Miller: $1.475 million; Morales: $1.4875 million.
The last Red Sox player to go to arbitration was pitcher Rolando Arrojo in 2002.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles