Reports: Red Sox sign Joel Hanrahan for $7.04 million
|01.18.13 at 4:01 pm ET|
According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Red Sox reached a one-year, $7.04 million deal with closer Joel Hanrahan for the 2013 season, a considerable increase on the $4.1 million the right-hander earned in 2012. Hanrahan, who was arbitration-eligible for the third time this offseason, could earn an additional $60,000 in incentives, according to the website, with $15,000 bonuses for finishing 45, 50, 55 and 60 games.
Hanrahan was an All-Star closer for the Pirates for the second straight year in 2012, going 5-2 with a 2.72 ERA, 10.1 strikeouts per nine innings and 5.4 walks per nine innings en route to 36 saves last year. The Sox acquired him (along with infielder Brock Holt) from Pittsburgh on Dec. 26 in exchange for reliever Mark Melancon, right-hander Stolmy Pimentel and outfielder Jerry Sands.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins