Pedro Martinez rejoins Red Sox as special assistant
|01.24.13 at 12:55 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Thursday that Pedro Martinez is returning to the organization as special assistant to the general manager.
“We are very excited to have Pedro on board with us and back in the Red Sox organization,” GM Ben Cherington said in a team statement. “He was one of the game’s most dominant pitchers and without a doubt a beloved figure in Red Sox history. Similar to former teammate Jason Varitek, who joined the baseball operations staff in September, Pedro will be involved in several areas, including the evaluation, mentorship, and instruction of young players in spring training and throughout the season.”
Martinez was a member of the Red Sox from 1998-2004 as part of his 18-year major league career. A three-time Cy Young winner and eight-time All-Star, Martinez had a career record of 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA and 3,154 strikeouts in 2,827 1/3 innings. With the Sox, he went 117-37 with a 2.52 ERA. He set team records (min. 1,000 innings) for winning percentage (.760), strikeouts per nine innings (11.0) and opponents’ batting average (.206). He’s also third in Sox history in strikeouts (1,683), sixth in wins and seventh in ERA.
“I am thrilled to be returning to this organization and to the city I love,” Martinez said in a statement. “Ben Cherington’s meetings this week have been outstanding. It is an honor to be back with the Red Sox and help in any way I can. I am grateful to our leaders; I believe in them, and I thank them for allowing me to return to the field and help us win again. My heart will always live in Boston.”
Martinez last pitched in 2009 for the Phillies. He also had stints with the Expos (1994-97) and Mets (2005-08).
- Preliminary 'New Stars for Young Stars' lineup announced
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder