Pedro Martinez rejoins Red Sox as special assistant
|01.24.13 at 12:55 pm ET|
“We are very excited to have Pedro on board with us and back in the Red Sox organization,” GM Ben Cherington said in a team statement. “He was one of the game’s most dominant pitchers and without a doubt a beloved figure in Red Sox history. Similar to former teammate Jason Varitek, who joined the baseball operations staff in September, Pedro will be involved in several areas, including the evaluation, mentorship, and instruction of young players in spring training and throughout the season.”
Martinez was a member of the Red Sox from 1998-2004 as part of his 18-year major league career. A three-time Cy Young winner and eight-time All-Star, Martinez had a career record of 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA and 3,154 strikeouts in 2,827 1/3 innings. With the Sox, he went 117-37 with a 2.52 ERA. He set team records (min. 1,000 innings) for winning percentage (.760), strikeouts per nine innings (11.0) and opponents’ batting average (.206). He’s also third in Sox history in strikeouts (1,683), sixth in wins and seventh in ERA.
“I am thrilled to be returning to this organization and to the city I love,” Martinez said in a statement. “Ben Cherington’s meetings this week have been outstanding. It is an honor to be back with the Red Sox and help in any way I can. I am grateful to our leaders; I believe in them, and I thank them for allowing me to return to the field and help us win again. My heart will always live in Boston.”
Martinez last pitched in 2009 for the Phillies. He also had stints with the Expos (1994-97) and Mets (2005-08).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston