Terry Francona jokes with John Farrell: ‘I think your owners suck’
|01.24.13 at 4:25 pm ET|
So, when good friend, former pitching coach and new Red Sox manager John Farrell walked into the Essex meeting room of the Copley Westin, he couldn’t resist.
“I just want to get this over with, just for the sake of it, I think your owners suck,” Francona said, shortly after giving him a warm embrace during the media availability prior to the annual Red Sox writers’ dinner in Boston.
Any serious advice for Farrell from Francona?
“Not to open your mouth like I do,” Francona said. “No, he doesn’t need my advice. We were not as good a team when he left. I’ve said this a lot of times, when he came back, the glass got half-full again with a lot of players, as it should. Except for when we’re playing him, I’ll be a big fan. He knows that.”
Farrell left after the 2010 season to manage the Blue Jays in 2011-12.
Oh, and one more thing for the record from Francona:
“And I didn’t mean that, by the way,” Francona said, referring to his opening line.
Farrell, playing the role of straight man, followed up by acknowledging Francona’s impact over eight seasons in Boston, including two World Series titles.
“It’s an exciting one, one I’m privileged to be in,” Farrell said. “And if I could have half the success that Tito had while he was here and what the Red Sox went through in the eight years that he was [manager]. He’s had one heckuva run here in Boston.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo