Terry Francona jokes with John Farrell: ‘I think your owners suck’
|01.24.13 at 4:25 pm ET|
So, when good friend, former pitching coach and new Red Sox manager John Farrell walked into the Essex meeting room of the Copley Westin, he couldn’t resist.
“I just want to get this over with, just for the sake of it, I think your owners suck,” Francona said, shortly after giving him a warm embrace during the media availability prior to the annual Red Sox writers’ dinner in Boston.
Any serious advice for Farrell from Francona?
“Not to open your mouth like I do,” Francona said. “No, he doesn’t need my advice. We were not as good a team when he left. I’ve said this a lot of times, when he came back, the glass got half-full again with a lot of players, as it should. Except for when we’re playing him, I’ll be a big fan. He knows that.”
Farrell left after the 2010 season to manage the Blue Jays in 2011-12.
Oh, and one more thing for the record from Francona:
“And I didn’t mean that, by the way,” Francona said, referring to his opening line.
Farrell, playing the role of straight man, followed up by acknowledging Francona’s impact over eight seasons in Boston, including two World Series titles.
“It’s an exciting one, one I’m privileged to be in,” Farrell said. “And if I could have half the success that Tito had while he was here and what the Red Sox went through in the eight years that he was [manager]. He’s had one heckuva run here in Boston.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem