Terry Francona jokes with John Farrell: ‘I think your owners suck’
|01.24.13 at 4:25 pm ET|
So, when good friend, former pitching coach and new Red Sox manager John Farrell walked into the Essex meeting room of the Copley Westin, he couldn’t resist.
“I just want to get this over with, just for the sake of it, I think your owners suck,” Francona said, shortly after giving him a warm embrace during the media availability prior to the annual Red Sox writers’ dinner in Boston.
Any serious advice for Farrell from Francona?
“Not to open your mouth like I do,” Francona said. “No, he doesn’t need my advice. We were not as good a team when he left. I’ve said this a lot of times, when he came back, the glass got half-full again with a lot of players, as it should. Except for when we’re playing him, I’ll be a big fan. He knows that.”
Farrell left after the 2010 season to manage the Blue Jays in 2011-12.
Oh, and one more thing for the record from Francona:
“And I didn’t mean that, by the way,” Francona said, referring to his opening line.
Farrell, playing the role of straight man, followed up by acknowledging Francona’s impact over eight seasons in Boston, including two World Series titles.
“It’s an exciting one, one I’m privileged to be in,” Farrell said. “And if I could have half the success that Tito had while he was here and what the Red Sox went through in the eight years that he was [manager]. He’s had one heckuva run here in Boston.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston