Source: Ryan Kalish likely to undergo shoulder surgery, miss spring training
|01.25.13 at 4:19 pm ET|
According to a major league source, Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish is likely to undergo surgery for a shoulder ailment, forcing the outfielder to miss spring training. The injury is to Kalish’s right (non-throwing) shoulder. He’s expected to have the procedure performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum next week. The procedure is expected to keep the 24-year-old out longer than his absence at the beginning of the 2012 season.
Kalish underwent two separate surgeries prior to the ’12 season, on both a bulging disk in his neck and a torn labrum in his left (throwing) shoulder — not the same shoulder on which he’ll have the operation next week. He didn’t begin participate in minor league games until May 26, ultimately appearing in 36 games with the Red Sox. The 24-year-old hit .229 with a .272 OBP, .260 slugging mark and .532 OPS, three doubles and three steals in the big leagues. The shoulder injury left him virtually unable to hit in September, when he was limited to just 13 plate appearances and none after Sept. 11. (He did appear in three games over the final three weeks as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement.)
The possibility of surgery was first reported by Matthew Stucko of Minor League Baseball’s official Web site (via Twitter).
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort