Source: Ryan Kalish likely to undergo shoulder surgery, miss spring training
|01.25.13 at 4:19 pm ET|
According to a major league source, Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish is likely to undergo surgery for a shoulder ailment, forcing the outfielder to miss spring training. The injury is to Kalish’s right (non-throwing) shoulder. He’s expected to have the procedure performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum next week. The procedure is expected to keep the 24-year-old out longer than his absence at the beginning of the 2012 season.
Kalish underwent two separate surgeries prior to the ’12 season, on both a bulging disk in his neck and a torn labrum in his left (throwing) shoulder — not the same shoulder on which he’ll have the operation next week. He didn’t begin participate in minor league games until May 26, ultimately appearing in 36 games with the Red Sox. The 24-year-old hit .229 with a .272 OBP, .260 slugging mark and .532 OPS, three doubles and three steals in the big leagues. The shoulder injury left him virtually unable to hit in September, when he was limited to just 13 plate appearances and none after Sept. 11. (He did appear in three games over the final three weeks as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement.)
The possibility of surgery was first reported by Matthew Stucko of Minor League Baseball’s official Web site (via Twitter).
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington