Source: Ryan Kalish likely to undergo shoulder surgery, miss spring training
|01.25.13 at 4:19 pm ET|
According to a major league source, Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish is likely to undergo surgery for a shoulder ailment, forcing the outfielder to miss spring training. The injury is to Kalish’s right (non-throwing) shoulder. He’s expected to have the procedure performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum next week. The procedure is expected to keep the 24-year-old out longer than his absence at the beginning of the 2012 season.
Kalish underwent two separate surgeries prior to the ’12 season, on both a bulging disk in his neck and a torn labrum in his left (throwing) shoulder — not the same shoulder on which he’ll have the operation next week. He didn’t begin participate in minor league games until May 26, ultimately appearing in 36 games with the Red Sox. The 24-year-old hit .229 with a .272 OBP, .260 slugging mark and .532 OPS, three doubles and three steals in the big leagues. The shoulder injury left him virtually unable to hit in September, when he was limited to just 13 plate appearances and none after Sept. 11. (He did appear in three games over the final three weeks as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement.)
The possibility of surgery was first reported by Matthew Stucko of Minor League Baseball’s official Web site (via Twitter).
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza ties Drive K record in dominant outing
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts