Source: Ryan Kalish likely to undergo shoulder surgery, miss spring training
|01.25.13 at 4:19 pm ET|
According to a major league source, Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish is likely to undergo surgery for a shoulder ailment, forcing the outfielder to miss spring training. The injury is to Kalish’s right (non-throwing) shoulder. He’s expected to have the procedure performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum next week. The procedure is expected to keep the 24-year-old out longer than his absence at the beginning of the 2012 season.
Kalish underwent two separate surgeries prior to the ’12 season, on both a bulging disk in his neck and a torn labrum in his left (throwing) shoulder — not the same shoulder on which he’ll have the operation next week. He didn’t begin participate in minor league games until May 26, ultimately appearing in 36 games with the Red Sox. The 24-year-old hit .229 with a .272 OBP, .260 slugging mark and .532 OPS, three doubles and three steals in the big leagues. The shoulder injury left him virtually unable to hit in September, when he was limited to just 13 plate appearances and none after Sept. 11. (He did appear in three games over the final three weeks as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement.)
The possibility of surgery was first reported by Matthew Stucko of Minor League Baseball’s official Web site (via Twitter).
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston