Source: Red Sox agree to minor league deal with Lyle Overbay
|01.31.13 at 4:09 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox reached an agreement with first baseman Lyle Overbay on a minor league deal. Overbay, who turned 36 three days ago, spent 2012 with the Diamondbacks and Braves, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games, including a .292/.367/.448/.815 line with the Diamondbacks through July before an injury wiped out his August. He struggled after being dealt to Atlanta, where he served primarily as a pinch-hitter in 20 games, hitting .100/.143/.150/.293 in 20 games that spanned 21 plate appearances.
In 12 big league seasons with the Diamondbacks, Brewers, Blue Jays, Pirates and Braves, Overbay is a career .270/.353/.438/.791 hitter who’s averaged 16 homers and 39 doubles per 162 games. If Overbay makes the Sox roster, he represents a potential left-handed complement to Mike Napoli, who was signed to be the Sox’ everyday first baseman. Aside from Overbay, the Sox also have Mauro Gomez and Mark Hamilton as potential backup options at first base.
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs