Source: Red Sox agree to minor league deal with Lyle Overbay
|01.31.13 at 4:09 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox reached an agreement with first baseman Lyle Overbay on a minor league deal. Overbay, who turned 36 three days ago, spent 2012 with the Diamondbacks and Braves, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games, including a .292/.367/.448/.815 line with the Diamondbacks through July before an injury wiped out his August. He struggled after being dealt to Atlanta, where he served primarily as a pinch-hitter in 20 games, hitting .100/.143/.150/.293 in 20 games that spanned 21 plate appearances.
In 12 big league seasons with the Diamondbacks, Brewers, Blue Jays, Pirates and Braves, Overbay is a career .270/.353/.438/.791 hitter who’s averaged 16 homers and 39 doubles per 162 games. If Overbay makes the Sox roster, he represents a potential left-handed complement to Mike Napoli, who was signed to be the Sox’ everyday first baseman. Aside from Overbay, the Sox also have Mauro Gomez and Mark Hamilton as potential backup options at first base.
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.