Ex-Red Sox Julio Lugo reportedly plans to retire
|02.04.13 at 8:11 pm ET|
According to MLB.com, former Red Sox shortstop Julio Lugo, who is currently playing for Escogido (Dominican Republic) in the Caribbean Series, plans to retire at the conclusion of the tournament this week.
“It might be [the end], unless something comes that changes my mind,” Lugo told the website. “But I think this is going to be it for me.”
Lugo, 37, last played in affiliated baseball in 2011 with the Braves, spending 22 games in the big leagues and hitting .136/.208/.136/.345 in 48 plate appearances. In parts of 12 big league seasons, he hit .269/.333/.384/.716 with 80 homers and 198 steals. He signed a four-year, $36 million deal with the Sox prior to the 2007 season, but ended up spending just two and a half seasons in Boston before getting designated for assignment, hitting .251/.319/.346/.664 with 10 homers and 48 steals in 266 games.
Still, while he offered limited return on the Sox’ investment, he did turn in a meaningful half-season for the Sox in 2007. After struggling badly in the first half, he recovered to hit .280/.322/.406/.728 with solid defense in the second half, and he started all 14 of the Sox’ postseason games that October, hitting .271/.340/.333/.673 in the playoffs while delivering strong defensive play against the Rockies in the World Series.
Even so, he became a defensive liability with little offensive impact in the next couple years, resulting in his eventual departure from the Sox.
“I played good and had a good career,” Lugo told MLB.com, “and I just think it’s the right time now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs