Ex-Red Sox Julio Lugo reportedly plans to retire
|02.04.13 at 8:11 pm ET|
According to MLB.com, former Red Sox shortstop Julio Lugo, who is currently playing for Escogido (Dominican Republic) in the Caribbean Series, plans to retire at the conclusion of the tournament this week.
“It might be [the end], unless something comes that changes my mind,” Lugo told the website. “But I think this is going to be it for me.”
Lugo, 37, last played in affiliated baseball in 2011 with the Braves, spending 22 games in the big leagues and hitting .136/.208/.136/.345 in 48 plate appearances. In parts of 12 big league seasons, he hit .269/.333/.384/.716 with 80 homers and 198 steals. He signed a four-year, $36 million deal with the Sox prior to the 2007 season, but ended up spending just two and a half seasons in Boston before getting designated for assignment, hitting .251/.319/.346/.664 with 10 homers and 48 steals in 266 games.
Still, while he offered limited return on the Sox’ investment, he did turn in a meaningful half-season for the Sox in 2007. After struggling badly in the first half, he recovered to hit .280/.322/.406/.728 with solid defense in the second half, and he started all 14 of the Sox’ postseason games that October, hitting .271/.340/.333/.673 in the playoffs while delivering strong defensive play against the Rockies in the World Series.
Even so, he became a defensive liability with little offensive impact in the next couple years, resulting in his eventual departure from the Sox.
“I played good and had a good career,” Lugo told MLB.com, “and I just think it’s the right time now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort