David Ortiz planning to take it slow once spring training begins
|02.06.13 at 10:14 am ET|
Talking by phone from the Dominican Republic, David Ortiz said he remains encouraged regarding his progress in coming back from an injured right Achilles tendon, but he admits he most likely will have to be cautious during the initial portion of spring training.
“I’m not completely recovered, but I’m going to be ready to go for Opening Day,” Ortiz told WEEI.com early Wednesday morning.
He then added when asked if he would have to somewhat ease into spring training: “Yeah, but it all depends what the doctors say. They say I’m going to have my days I’m not going to feel that well. I haven’t had those yet, but I haven’t started the hard stuff. But the one thing I can tell you is I’m able to do the agility drills without any pain, which I wasn’t able to do before, so that’s a good thing. When I was injured those used to cause me a lot of pain, and I don’t have any pain when I do them now.”
The designated hitter, who suffered the injury while rounding the bases July 17, reports that he has been hitting without any issues, and participated in some “small running,” with a plan to participate in some more extensive running Wednesday.
“I think everything is good,” he said. “Hopefully I don’t have any setbacks, but right now everything is good.”
While Ortiz is taking the approach of taking things slow upon arriving in Fort Myers just prior to the Feb. 14 reporting date, he remains cautiously optimistic that he will be ready to participate when spring training games begin. “Pretty sure” he said when asked if he would be ready to go by the team’s spring training opener on Feb. 21.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins