David Ortiz planning to take it slow once spring training begins
|02.06.13 at 10:14 am ET|
Talking by phone from the Dominican Republic, David Ortiz said he remains encouraged regarding his progress in coming back from an injured right Achilles tendon, but he admits he most likely will have to be cautious during the initial portion of spring training.
“I’m not completely recovered, but I’m going to be ready to go for Opening Day,” Ortiz told WEEI.com early Wednesday morning.
He then added when asked if he would have to somewhat ease into spring training: “Yeah, but it all depends what the doctors say. They say I’m going to have my days I’m not going to feel that well. I haven’t had those yet, but I haven’t started the hard stuff. But the one thing I can tell you is I’m able to do the agility drills without any pain, which I wasn’t able to do before, so that’s a good thing. When I was injured those used to cause me a lot of pain, and I don’t have any pain when I do them now.”
The designated hitter, who suffered the injury while rounding the bases July 17, reports that he has been hitting without any issues, and participated in some “small running,” with a plan to participate in some more extensive running Wednesday.
“I think everything is good,” he said. “Hopefully I don’t have any setbacks, but right now everything is good.”
While Ortiz is taking the approach of taking things slow upon arriving in Fort Myers just prior to the Feb. 14 reporting date, he remains cautiously optimistic that he will be ready to participate when spring training games begin. “Pretty sure” he said when asked if he would be ready to go by the team’s spring training opener on Feb. 21.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night
- Dubon promoted to Salem, Jerez to Portland in series of roster moves
- Devers, Margot named to Futures Game roster