Don’t count on Red Sox getting in hunt for Kyle Lohse
|02.06.13 at 11:52 pm ET|
The rumors regarding the Red Sox and Kyle Lohse resurfaced earlier this week thanks in part to a tweet from Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Sirius/XM Radio …
What teams make the most sense for Michael Bourn at this point? in my opinion: TB, NYM & Sea….and for Kyle Lohse? Box,TX,LAA,Milw,Balt
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) February 2, 2013
According to a major league source, however, it is “highly unlikely” the Red Sox will be locking up the top free agent pitcher still on the market. There was some interest in Lohse from the Sox earlier in the offseason, but that was before the team invested in a pitcher who, unlike the former Cardinals hurler, wouldn’t cost a draft pick — Ryan Dempster.
Some might be led to believe that if a pitcher the likes of Lohse is still out there, with financial demands that wouldn’t be handcuffing a team like the Red Sox, it would be worth the investment. He was, after all, the best strike-thrower on the market, with the Red Sox trying to prioritize such a skill-set.
But surrendering a draft pick for such what would figure to be short-term acquisition just doesn’t add up for the Red Sox. With the stable of young arms (Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, etc.) eyeing spots in the rotation in a few years, the current group of Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Felix Doubront, Dempster (and even Franklin Morale)s would seem to offer enough potential that Lohse is viewed as luxury item isn’t ready to jump at.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox