Don’t count on Red Sox getting in hunt for Kyle Lohse
|02.06.13 at 11:52 pm ET|
The rumors regarding the Red Sox and Kyle Lohse resurfaced earlier this week thanks in part to a tweet from Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Sirius/XM Radio …
What teams make the most sense for Michael Bourn at this point? in my opinion: TB, NYM & Sea….and for Kyle Lohse? Box,TX,LAA,Milw,Balt
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) February 2, 2013
According to a major league source, however, it is “highly unlikely” the Red Sox will be locking up the top free agent pitcher still on the market. There was some interest in Lohse from the Sox earlier in the offseason, but that was before the team invested in a pitcher who, unlike the former Cardinals hurler, wouldn’t cost a draft pick — Ryan Dempster.
Some might be led to believe that if a pitcher the likes of Lohse is still out there, with financial demands that wouldn’t be handcuffing a team like the Red Sox, it would be worth the investment. He was, after all, the best strike-thrower on the market, with the Red Sox trying to prioritize such a skill-set.
But surrendering a draft pick for such what would figure to be short-term acquisition just doesn’t add up for the Red Sox. With the stable of young arms (Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, etc.) eyeing spots in the rotation in a few years, the current group of Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Felix Doubront, Dempster (and even Franklin Morale)s would seem to offer enough potential that Lohse is viewed as luxury item isn’t ready to jump at.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo