Don’t count on Red Sox getting in hunt for Kyle Lohse
|02.06.13 at 11:52 pm ET|
The rumors regarding the Red Sox and Kyle Lohse resurfaced earlier this week thanks in part to a tweet from Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Sirius/XM Radio …
What teams make the most sense for Michael Bourn at this point? in my opinion: TB, NYM & Sea….and for Kyle Lohse? Box,TX,LAA,Milw,Balt
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) February 2, 2013
According to a major league source, however, it is “highly unlikely” the Red Sox will be locking up the top free agent pitcher still on the market. There was some interest in Lohse from the Sox earlier in the offseason, but that was before the team invested in a pitcher who, unlike the former Cardinals hurler, wouldn’t cost a draft pick — Ryan Dempster.
Some might be led to believe that if a pitcher the likes of Lohse is still out there, with financial demands that wouldn’t be handcuffing a team like the Red Sox, it would be worth the investment. He was, after all, the best strike-thrower on the market, with the Red Sox trying to prioritize such a skill-set.
But surrendering a draft pick for such what would figure to be short-term acquisition just doesn’t add up for the Red Sox. With the stable of young arms (Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, etc.) eyeing spots in the rotation in a few years, the current group of Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Felix Doubront, Dempster (and even Franklin Morale)s would seem to offer enough potential that Lohse is viewed as luxury item isn’t ready to jump at.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi walk-off bomb keeps Drive in hunt
- Updated: Espinoza to Greenville, Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals