Tim Wakefield to teach knuckleball to Doug Flutie, other former QBs on MLB Network reality show
|02.07.13 at 8:03 am ET|
Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield is the star of the MLB Network’s new reality show called “The Next Knuckler.” Wakefield will attempt to teach the pitch to five former college quarterbacks, including Boston College Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, and the one who demonstrates the most ability will get to pitch in a spring training game with the Diamondbacks.
Flutie, 50, still plays in an amateur baseball league in his hometown of Natick. He’ll compete against Josh Booty, who played football and LSU and had a cup of coffee in the major leagues as a third baseman with the Marlins, former USC quarterback John David Booty (Josh’s brother), former Georgia signal-caller David Greene and ex-LSU QB Ryan Perrilloux.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Blue Jays knuckleballer R.A. Dickey are scheduled to make goes appearances on the program. Former Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar will help decide the winner.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting
- Top 40 in Review: Blake Swihart