Clay Buchholz suffers ‘mild’ right hamstring on first day
|02.12.13 at 12:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that starting pitcher Clay Buchholz suffered a right hamstring strain bending over to pick up a ball during the first day of pitchers fielding drills Tuesday at JetBlue Park.
Farrell said the team will know more Wednesday but added, “it was enough to get him off the field.”
Farrell said the strain was in the middle of his right hamstring and was in the “best possible” area for recovery, away from his buttocks and knee. Farrell said Buchholz will receive “several treatments” daily in an effort to get him back on the field as soon as possible.
Buchholz said that he’s “hopeful” that the injury is not serious, since trainers told him it was a strain and not a pull. Buchholz said he doesn’t expect to miss any spring training starts.
“I don’t know, I used to be pretty athletic and used to be able to agility stuff,” he said. “I just felt a little tweak and decided not to push it anymore, come in and have them take a look at it. They said it was the best-case scenario. They said if you had to have a hamstring injury, this was the best one.
“It was just a matter of doing all those sprints yesterday and being a little tight and maybe not stretching as much as I need to. Lesson learned. I’ll be stretching every day now as much as I can.”
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers