Clay Buchholz suffers ‘mild’ right hamstring on first day
|02.12.13 at 12:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that starting pitcher Clay Buchholz suffered a right hamstring strain bending over to pick up a ball during the first day of pitchers fielding drills Tuesday at JetBlue Park.
Farrell said the team will know more Wednesday but added, “it was enough to get him off the field.”
Farrell said the strain was in the middle of his right hamstring and was in the “best possible” area for recovery, away from his buttocks and knee. Farrell said Buchholz will receive “several treatments” daily in an effort to get him back on the field as soon as possible.
Buchholz said that he’s “hopeful” that the injury is not serious, since trainers told him it was a strain and not a pull. Buchholz said he doesn’t expect to miss any spring training starts.
“I don’t know, I used to be pretty athletic and used to be able to agility stuff,” he said. “I just felt a little tweak and decided not to push it anymore, come in and have them take a look at it. They said it was the best-case scenario. They said if you had to have a hamstring injury, this was the best one.
“It was just a matter of doing all those sprints yesterday and being a little tight and maybe not stretching as much as I need to. Lesson learned. I’ll be stretching every day now as much as I can.”
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Devers homers, Shawaryn stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching