Dustin Pedroia not blaming Bobby Valentine for 2012: ‘He didn’t play. We lost those games’
|02.12.13 at 10:30 am ET|
“No, none,” Pedroia said when asked about the impact Valentine had on the team. “He didn’t play. It’s the players. Bobby didn’t go out there and get any hits, make any errors or do any of that. We lost those games. It’s on us.”
Pedroia took offense when Valentine criticized Kevin Youkilis early in the season before Valentine and Pedroia worked out their differences.
“Yeah, it was difficult,” Pedroia said of the 2012 season. “We had a tough time. We lost a lot of games. I think everybody is motivated to make sure that doesn’t happen again. We have to do everything better than we did last year. We have a lot of new guys. I think a lot of guys are excited. There are going to be a lot of different things going on. Guys have to do what they do and don’t try to do too much.”
As for working again with new manager John Farrell, someone he knew from 2007-10?
“That was one of the things when he was here before, he was always communicating with guys and open about your role. You knew what you were going to do that day. That definitely helps,” Pedroia said.
Another pain of 2012 was quite physical for Pedroia, the left and right hand injuries that limited him to 141 games. He still managed to hit .290 with 15 home runs.
“It was fine,” Pedroia said. “I had a pin in my [left] pinkie for about four weeks and they took it out. It was no big no deal. My thumb and other finger healed in about six weeks. I was fine.”
As for the offseason, Pedroia spent it in a program he called, “straight body build.”
“I thought the moves were great,” Pedroia said. “We added a lot of personality to the team. These guys, Jonny Gomes, there are guys that are going to bring a lot of energy to the clubhouse and team, a lot of positive stuff and everyone is excited for everything.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016