Dustin Pedroia thinks Jacoby Ellsbury is ‘here to win,’ not worried about contract
|02.12.13 at 9:47 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — In the wake of the awful 2012 season, Dustin Pedroia has no worries about the mindset of his teammates, including one that is set to become a free agent after this season.
“No, he’s here to win,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think he’s showing up today worried about getting a contract extension or anything like that. He’s going to show up to help us win a ball game.
“He’s very important. We all know what he can do when he’s healthy. He’s had some bad-luck injuries, last year and a few years back. You all saw what he did the year in between that and it’s pretty special.”
Pedroia was, of course, referring to 2011, when Ellsbury batted .321 with 32 homers and 105 RBIs and finished second to Justin Verlander for AL MVP.
As for another teammate, Stephen Drew, Pedroia is looking forward to working with his new double-play partner. Pedroia, when he was at Arizona State, played against Drew when the shortstop was at Florida State.
“A little bit, yeah,” Pedroia said when asked how much he knows him. “He’ll be fine. He’s a great player. He’s got a lot of talent. Played against him in college and played with J.D. [Drew] for five years so I was always asking J.D. how he’s doing. So, we’ll have a great relationship. It’ll be fun.”
The funniest moment of the session came when Pedroia was asked if he heard about the $100,000 the Red Sox reportedly spent two years ago on a marketing firm that told the team they needed more “sexy” players like him on the roster.
“They didn’t didn’t need to hire a damn marketing team. I could have told them that for free,” Pedroia said. “It was all my friends. I don’t know, I just started laughing. Man, that’s pretty funny.”
With author Dan Shaughnessy standing to his left listening in, Pedroia was asked if he read the book of former Red Sox manager Terry Francona.
“No,” he laughed. “I have no time for that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven