Dustin Pedroia thinks Jacoby Ellsbury is ‘here to win,’ not worried about contract
|02.12.13 at 9:47 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — In the wake of the awful 2012 season, Dustin Pedroia has no worries about the mindset of his teammates, including one that is set to become a free agent after this season.
“No, he’s here to win,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think he’s showing up today worried about getting a contract extension or anything like that. He’s going to show up to help us win a ball game.
“He’s very important. We all know what he can do when he’s healthy. He’s had some bad-luck injuries, last year and a few years back. You all saw what he did the year in between that and it’s pretty special.”
Pedroia was, of course, referring to 2011, when Ellsbury batted .321 with 32 homers and 105 RBIs and finished second to Justin Verlander for AL MVP.
As for another teammate, Stephen Drew, Pedroia is looking forward to working with his new double-play partner. Pedroia, when he was at Arizona State, played against Drew when the shortstop was at Florida State.
“A little bit, yeah,” Pedroia said when asked how much he knows him. “He’ll be fine. He’s a great player. He’s got a lot of talent. Played against him in college and played with J.D. [Drew] for five years so I was always asking J.D. how he’s doing. So, we’ll have a great relationship. It’ll be fun.”
The funniest moment of the session came when Pedroia was asked if he heard about the $100,000 the Red Sox reportedly spent two years ago on a marketing firm that told the team they needed more “sexy” players like him on the roster.
“They didn’t didn’t need to hire a damn marketing team. I could have told them that for free,” Pedroia said. “It was all my friends. I don’t know, I just started laughing. Man, that’s pretty funny.”
With author Dan Shaughnessy standing to his left listening in, Pedroia was asked if he read the book of former Red Sox manager Terry Francona.
“No,” he laughed. “I have no time for that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win