Andrew Bailey on trade possibility: ‘I love being [in Boston]’
|02.13.13 at 10:31 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox reliever Andrew Bailey reiterated his acceptance of the fact that the team has displaced him from the closer’s spot in favor of Joel Hanrahan, who was acquired in a trade from the Pirates this winter. With a pair of two-time All-Stars in the bullpen, there has been speculation regarding the possibility that the Sox could move Bailey in a deal this spring.
Bailey suggested that, despite his change in role, he isn’t politicking for a trade.
“I love it here. I think the team we have is a winner and contender. We do have a deep bullpen. Starters only have to go four to five innings, really. It will be fun down there for sure,” he said. “Obviously, everyone’s goal as a reliever is to close. I’ve said this before — I don’t think my closing days are done, and I certainly hope they’re not done in Boston. I love the city. I love being here. It’s close to home for me. I don’t know anything else, other than that, but what I think we have on paper now is strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen