Andrew Bailey on trade possibility: ‘I love being [in Boston]’
|02.13.13 at 10:31 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox reliever Andrew Bailey reiterated his acceptance of the fact that the team has displaced him from the closer’s spot in favor of Joel Hanrahan, who was acquired in a trade from the Pirates this winter. With a pair of two-time All-Stars in the bullpen, there has been speculation regarding the possibility that the Sox could move Bailey in a deal this spring.
Bailey suggested that, despite his change in role, he isn’t politicking for a trade.
“I love it here. I think the team we have is a winner and contender. We do have a deep bullpen. Starters only have to go four to five innings, really. It will be fun down there for sure,” he said. “Obviously, everyone’s goal as a reliever is to close. I’ve said this before — I don’t think my closing days are done, and I certainly hope they’re not done in Boston. I love the city. I love being here. It’s close to home for me. I don’t know anything else, other than that, but what I think we have on paper now is strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston