Andrew Bailey on trade possibility: ‘I love being [in Boston]’
|02.13.13 at 10:31 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox reliever Andrew Bailey reiterated his acceptance of the fact that the team has displaced him from the closer’s spot in favor of Joel Hanrahan, who was acquired in a trade from the Pirates this winter. With a pair of two-time All-Stars in the bullpen, there has been speculation regarding the possibility that the Sox could move Bailey in a deal this spring.
Bailey suggested that, despite his change in role, he isn’t politicking for a trade.
“I love it here. I think the team we have is a winner and contender. We do have a deep bullpen. Starters only have to go four to five innings, really. It will be fun down there for sure,” he said. “Obviously, everyone’s goal as a reliever is to close. I’ve said this before — I don’t think my closing days are done, and I certainly hope they’re not done in Boston. I love the city. I love being here. It’s close to home for me. I don’t know anything else, other than that, but what I think we have on paper now is strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster