Andrew Bailey on trade possibility: ‘I love being [in Boston]’
|02.13.13 at 10:31 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox reliever Andrew Bailey reiterated his acceptance of the fact that the team has displaced him from the closer’s spot in favor of Joel Hanrahan, who was acquired in a trade from the Pirates this winter. With a pair of two-time All-Stars in the bullpen, there has been speculation regarding the possibility that the Sox could move Bailey in a deal this spring.
Bailey suggested that, despite his change in role, he isn’t politicking for a trade.
“I love it here. I think the team we have is a winner and contender. We do have a deep bullpen. Starters only have to go four to five innings, really. It will be fun down there for sure,” he said. “Obviously, everyone’s goal as a reliever is to close. I’ve said this before — I don’t think my closing days are done, and I certainly hope they’re not done in Boston. I love the city. I love being here. It’s close to home for me. I don’t know anything else, other than that, but what I think we have on paper now is strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins