Andrew Bailey on trade possibility: ‘I love being [in Boston]’
|02.13.13 at 10:31 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox reliever Andrew Bailey reiterated his acceptance of the fact that the team has displaced him from the closer’s spot in favor of Joel Hanrahan, who was acquired in a trade from the Pirates this winter. With a pair of two-time All-Stars in the bullpen, there has been speculation regarding the possibility that the Sox could move Bailey in a deal this spring.
Bailey suggested that, despite his change in role, he isn’t politicking for a trade.
“I love it here. I think the team we have is a winner and contender. We do have a deep bullpen. Starters only have to go four to five innings, really. It will be fun down there for sure,” he said. “Obviously, everyone’s goal as a reliever is to close. I’ve said this before — I don’t think my closing days are done, and I certainly hope they’re not done in Boston. I love the city. I love being here. It’s close to home for me. I don’t know anything else, other than that, but what I think we have on paper now is strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies