David Ortiz tests that right Achilles
|02.15.13 at 7:46 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox slugger David Ortiz on the first full day of full squad workouts tested his right Achilles in conditioning and sprint drills with team orthopedist George Theodore looking on.
Manager John Farrell said Friday Ortiz has yet to be cleared for full base-running drills and is working his way back to full strength.
‘Part of his current rehab,’ Farrell said. ‘He’s not in the base running or the conditioning drills that we do or are doing. They are specific to his protocol so he feels not only getting stronger but with each passing day, there’s less hesitancy to be a little bit more agile, a little bit more explosive. I know that’s a relative statement but he’s making good progress.’
Ortiz told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford on Tuesday that he is feeling about 90 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando