David Ortiz tests that right Achilles
|02.15.13 at 7:46 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox slugger David Ortiz on the first full day of full squad workouts tested his right Achilles in conditioning and sprint drills with team orthopedist George Theodore looking on.
Manager John Farrell said Friday Ortiz has yet to be cleared for full base-running drills and is working his way back to full strength.
‘Part of his current rehab,’ Farrell said. ‘He’s not in the base running or the conditioning drills that we do or are doing. They are specific to his protocol so he feels not only getting stronger but with each passing day, there’s less hesitancy to be a little bit more agile, a little bit more explosive. I know that’s a relative statement but he’s making good progress.’
Ortiz told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford on Tuesday that he is feeling about 90 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia