David Ortiz tests that right Achilles
|02.15.13 at 7:46 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox slugger David Ortiz on the first full day of full squad workouts tested his right Achilles in conditioning and sprint drills with team orthopedist George Theodore looking on.
Manager John Farrell said Friday Ortiz has yet to be cleared for full base-running drills and is working his way back to full strength.
‘Part of his current rehab,’ Farrell said. ‘He’s not in the base running or the conditioning drills that we do or are doing. They are specific to his protocol so he feels not only getting stronger but with each passing day, there’s less hesitancy to be a little bit more agile, a little bit more explosive. I know that’s a relative statement but he’s making good progress.’
Ortiz told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford on Tuesday that he is feeling about 90 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles