David Ortiz tests that right Achilles
|02.15.13 at 7:46 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox slugger David Ortiz on the first full day of full squad workouts tested his right Achilles in conditioning and sprint drills with team orthopedist George Theodore looking on.
Manager John Farrell said Friday Ortiz has yet to be cleared for full base-running drills and is working his way back to full strength.
‘Part of his current rehab,’ Farrell said. ‘He’s not in the base running or the conditioning drills that we do or are doing. They are specific to his protocol so he feels not only getting stronger but with each passing day, there’s less hesitancy to be a little bit more agile, a little bit more explosive. I know that’s a relative statement but he’s making good progress.’
Ortiz told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford on Tuesday that he is feeling about 90 percent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end