Clay Buchholz: Jon Lester should be Red Sox Opening Day starter
|02.19.13 at 2:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Unlike two years ago, when then-Red Sox manager Terry Francona informed Jon Lester during the offseason he would the team’s Opening Day starter, current Sox manager John Farrell has not identified his starting pitcher for the Sox’ season-opener April 1 at Yankee Stadium.
One of two two candidates for the honor, Clay Buchholz, had no hesitation when talking about the subject.
“Jonny Lester should be the guy,” Buchholz told WEEI.com after the team’s Tuesday workout. “He’s been the horse over the last four years for us. I don’t think you can go in any other direction with it. He’s just been our guy who has gone out there, who is a hard-throowing lefty, who had pretty special off-speed stuff. So I think that’s a good guy to have out there to set the tone for everybody else.”
Lester has been the Opening Day starter the past two seasons, having taken over for Josh Beckett, who got the nod in 2009 and ’10. If the lefty does start the first game this season, it would mark the first time a Red Sox pitcher has been named Opening Day starter three straight years since Pedro Martinez, who pitched seven straight openers from 1998-’04.
After struggling in the ’11 opener, Lester pitched well during ’12 Opening Day, one run on six hits over seven innings in a loss to Detroit.
“I don’t see any way he has lost the responsibility to have that roll,” Buchholz said. “I think you’ll get the same answer from anybody else on the staff.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Game
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot