John Lackey starts Saturday, Jon Lester Sunday, Alfredo Aceves Monday
|02.19.13 at 9:34 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — John Lackey will make his first start of the spring on Saturday against the Tampa Bay Rays at JetBlue Park. Lackey, who will throw just the first inning, will be followed by Drake Britton, Pedro Beato, Anthony Carter, Jose De La Torre, Oscar Villarreal, Alex Wilson and knuckleballer Steven Wright.
Jon Lester will follow up on Sunday by getting his first Grapefruit League start against the Cardinals in Jupiter. After Lester, Red Sox fans can get their first look at Rubby De La Rosa, followed by Junichi Tazawa, Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey, Andrew Miller and Koji Uehara.
Alfredo Aceves will get his first start of the spring on Monday in a split-squad game against the Rays in Port Charlotte. After Aceves it will be Chris Hernandez, Daniel Bard, Clayton Mortensen (for two innings), Villareal and Wilson.
Meanwhile, in Dunedin at the same time, it will be Wright, Allen Webster, Terry Doyle (two innings), De La Torre, Beato, Carpenter and Carter.
Before the official Grapefruit League games, the Red Sox open with their traditional seven-inning games against Northeastern and Boston College.
Hanrahan will start Thursday’s 1:35 game at JetBlue against Northeastern, followed by Bard, Miller, Wilson Mortensen (two innings), Beato and Carter. Against Boston College at 4 p.m., Doyle (a BC product) will get a pair of innings against his alma mater. Uehara will start followed by Bailey, Villarreal, Doyle, De La Torre and Tazawa.
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson hits for the cycle, Owens has impressive start