John Lackey starts Saturday, Jon Lester Sunday, Alfredo Aceves Monday
|02.19.13 at 9:34 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — John Lackey will make his first start of the spring on Saturday against the Tampa Bay Rays at JetBlue Park. Lackey, who will throw just the first inning, will be followed by Drake Britton, Pedro Beato, Anthony Carter, Jose De La Torre, Oscar Villarreal, Alex Wilson and knuckleballer Steven Wright.
Jon Lester will follow up on Sunday by getting his first Grapefruit League start against the Cardinals in Jupiter. After Lester, Red Sox fans can get their first look at Rubby De La Rosa, followed by Junichi Tazawa, Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey, Andrew Miller and Koji Uehara.
Alfredo Aceves will get his first start of the spring on Monday in a split-squad game against the Rays in Port Charlotte. After Aceves it will be Chris Hernandez, Daniel Bard, Clayton Mortensen (for two innings), Villareal and Wilson.
Meanwhile, in Dunedin at the same time, it will be Wright, Allen Webster, Terry Doyle (two innings), De La Torre, Beato, Carpenter and Carter.
Before the official Grapefruit League games, the Red Sox open with their traditional seven-inning games against Northeastern and Boston College.
Hanrahan will start Thursday’s 1:35 game at JetBlue against Northeastern, followed by Bard, Miller, Wilson Mortensen (two innings), Beato and Carter. Against Boston College at 4 p.m., Doyle (a BC product) will get a pair of innings against his alma mater. Uehara will start followed by Bailey, Villarreal, Doyle, De La Torre and Tazawa.
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10