John Lackey starts Saturday, Jon Lester Sunday, Alfredo Aceves Monday
|02.19.13 at 9:34 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — John Lackey will make his first start of the spring on Saturday against the Tampa Bay Rays at JetBlue Park. Lackey, who will throw just the first inning, will be followed by Drake Britton, Pedro Beato, Anthony Carter, Jose De La Torre, Oscar Villarreal, Alex Wilson and knuckleballer Steven Wright.
Jon Lester will follow up on Sunday by getting his first Grapefruit League start against the Cardinals in Jupiter. After Lester, Red Sox fans can get their first look at Rubby De La Rosa, followed by Junichi Tazawa, Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey, Andrew Miller and Koji Uehara.
Alfredo Aceves will get his first start of the spring on Monday in a split-squad game against the Rays in Port Charlotte. After Aceves it will be Chris Hernandez, Daniel Bard, Clayton Mortensen (for two innings), Villareal and Wilson.
Meanwhile, in Dunedin at the same time, it will be Wright, Allen Webster, Terry Doyle (two innings), De La Torre, Beato, Carpenter and Carter.
Before the official Grapefruit League games, the Red Sox open with their traditional seven-inning games against Northeastern and Boston College.
Hanrahan will start Thursday’s 1:35 game at JetBlue against Northeastern, followed by Bard, Miller, Wilson Mortensen (two innings), Beato and Carter. Against Boston College at 4 p.m., Doyle (a BC product) will get a pair of innings against his alma mater. Uehara will start followed by Bailey, Villarreal, Doyle, De La Torre and Tazawa.
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs