Alfredo Aceves on his latest batting practice session, apologizing and John Farrell
|02.20.13 at 2:16 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.
Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.
“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”
“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”
Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”
Aceves said he has been told what his role will be for the upcoming season, although the righty wouldn’t divulge the exact details. It is assumed that unless an injury occurs to one of the five pitchers (Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, John Lackey, Felix Doubront), he would be slated to be a multiple-inning reliever.
“It’s early in spring training. I don’t have the same rhythm I had last year in the regular season,” Aceves said. “I believe it’s going to come. Beside that, I feel really good. I feel really happy with [Jarrod] Saltalmacchia that we’re on the same page as in a game.
“I feel excited. All those years I’ve been in the game, putting in as a starter and putting in as a reliever. I’m excited to know what’s coming.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Owens to be called up, will debut in Yankee Stadium
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey powers Lowell, Hernandez leads PawSox comeback
- Cup of Coffee: McAvoy tosses Salem past Nationals
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis shines in national TV spotlight
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland