Alfredo Aceves on his latest batting practice session, apologizing and John Farrell
|02.20.13 at 2:16 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.
Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.
“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”
“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”
Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”
Aceves said he has been told what his role will be for the upcoming season, although the righty wouldn’t divulge the exact details. It is assumed that unless an injury occurs to one of the five pitchers (Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, John Lackey, Felix Doubront), he would be slated to be a multiple-inning reliever.
“It’s early in spring training. I don’t have the same rhythm I had last year in the regular season,” Aceves said. “I believe it’s going to come. Beside that, I feel really good. I feel really happy with [Jarrod] Saltalmacchia that we’re on the same page as in a game.
“I feel excited. All those years I’ve been in the game, putting in as a starter and putting in as a reliever. I’m excited to know what’s coming.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle