Alfredo Aceves on his latest batting practice session, apologizing and John Farrell
|02.20.13 at 2:16 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.
Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.
“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”
“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”
Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”
Aceves said he has been told what his role will be for the upcoming season, although the righty wouldn’t divulge the exact details. It is assumed that unless an injury occurs to one of the five pitchers (Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, John Lackey, Felix Doubront), he would be slated to be a multiple-inning reliever.
“It’s early in spring training. I don’t have the same rhythm I had last year in the regular season,” Aceves said. “I believe it’s going to come. Beside that, I feel really good. I feel really happy with [Jarrod] Saltalmacchia that we’re on the same page as in a game.
“I feel excited. All those years I’ve been in the game, putting in as a starter and putting in as a reliever. I’m excited to know what’s coming.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven