Alfredo Aceves on his latest batting practice session, apologizing and John Farrell
|02.20.13 at 2:16 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.
Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.
“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”
“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”
Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”
Aceves said he has been told what his role will be for the upcoming season, although the righty wouldn’t divulge the exact details. It is assumed that unless an injury occurs to one of the five pitchers (Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, John Lackey, Felix Doubront), he would be slated to be a multiple-inning reliever.
“It’s early in spring training. I don’t have the same rhythm I had last year in the regular season,” Aceves said. “I believe it’s going to come. Beside that, I feel really good. I feel really happy with [Jarrod] Saltalmacchia that we’re on the same page as in a game.
“I feel excited. All those years I’ve been in the game, putting in as a starter and putting in as a reliever. I’m excited to know what’s coming.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller