Alfredo Aceves on his latest batting practice session, apologizing and John Farrell
|02.20.13 at 2:16 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.
Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.
“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”
“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”
Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”
Aceves said he has been told what his role will be for the upcoming season, although the righty wouldn’t divulge the exact details. It is assumed that unless an injury occurs to one of the five pitchers (Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, John Lackey, Felix Doubront), he would be slated to be a multiple-inning reliever.
“It’s early in spring training. I don’t have the same rhythm I had last year in the regular season,” Aceves said. “I believe it’s going to come. Beside that, I feel really good. I feel really happy with [Jarrod] Saltalmacchia that we’re on the same page as in a game.
“I feel excited. All those years I’ve been in the game, putting in as a starter and putting in as a reliever. I’m excited to know what’s coming.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!