Mostly Red Sox major leaguers against Northeastern, minor leaguers vs. BC
|02.20.13 at 9:24 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo posted player participation charts Wednesday morning for the college doubleheader on Thursday at JetBlue Park that kicks off a schedule of spring games.
Against Northeastern at 1:35 p.m., the Red Sox will sport primarily a major league roster, with regulars like Will Middlebrooks, Pedro Ciriaco, Dustin Pedroia, Jonny Gomes, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Ryan Lavarnway, David Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia seeing playing time.
Joel Hanrahan will start the game against Northeastern followed by Daniel Bard and a host of other relievers in the seven-inning game.
In the second game, Koji Uehara will get the start in the seven-inning contest against Boston College at 4 p.m. That game will feature primarily minor league players. But there will be two players to keep a close eye on as Xander Bogaerts gets the start at third base while Jackie Bradley, Jr. is expected to start in center.
Mike Napoli (hips) and David Ortiz (Achilles) will not play in either game, as they are being held back while ramping up during the early portion of spring training. Farrell indicated Tuesday that Napoli was “making very good progress” and should be making his debut in game action in the early part of the game schedule.
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan