Joel Hanrahan, Daniel Bard lead shutout of Northeastern
|02.21.13 at 4:28 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Daniel Bard threw 18 pitches in the second inning of Thursday’s 3-0 win over Northeastern as the Red Sox began spring training games at JetBlue Park. The right-hander struggled with fastball command early, turning to his slider.
He allowed a bloop single to Connor Lyons to open the inning but then, with a mid 90s fastball and a sharp slider, came right back to strike out the next three batters. Joel Hanrahan allowed a single, hit a batter and struck out 2 in his 17-pitch first inning.
“Joel really looked good,” Hanrahan’s catcher David Ross said. “I thought Joel’s ball was down, and his fastball was really jumping out of his hand. Early on you don’t want to do anything to speed up the college guys’ bats, but you also want to get work in. It’s kind of a tough thing calling a guy like that, but I thought Joel looked really nice.”
Offensively, Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled home the first run and walked twice while Dustin Pedroia was caught looking for a strikeout in the first and hit into a 5-4-3 double play in the third. The double by Saltalamacchia was the only extra-base hit for the Red Sox in the game, as they finished with five hits. Despite holding the Huskies scoreless for seven innings, the Red Sox allowed Northeastern to take the field in the bottom of the seventh and scored twice more but those runs did not count in the box score.
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs