Why Brian Butterfield has Bam Childress, ‘Devil’s Corner’ on the brain
|02.21.13 at 12:05 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — So the story goes …
When Brian Butterfield was on the coaching staff in Arizona he was originally assigned No. 41. But after experiencing a dream where in which he was a member a World Series winner wearing the No. 55, and then waking up to see images of newly-drafted Patriots’ linebacker Willie McGinest (No. 55), Butterfield made the plea to Buck Showalter to claim the new number.
The new Red Sox third base coach has gone on to wear No. 55 up until his current stint, having to change to No. 13 with Ryan Kalish wearing double-nickels. (In fairness, Kalish offered the number up to Butterfield, but the coach declined.)
So, why No. 13? “Bam Childress,” he said, referencing the former Patriots’ practice squader.
Butterfield wasn’t intent on immortalizing Childress, but to fall in line with the theme it appears to be good enough for now.
Speaking of the third base coach, he could be seen simulating waving in and stopping runners during batting practice, attempting to guess where each ball was going to land on the JetBlue Field Thursday prior to the Red Sox’ game against Northeastern.
The toughest ball to judge? “Devil’s Corner,” he said, referencing the left field foul ground against the wall. “It never tells the truth.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants