Why Brian Butterfield has Bam Childress, ‘Devil’s Corner’ on the brain
|02.21.13 at 12:05 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — So the story goes …
When Brian Butterfield was on the coaching staff in Arizona he was originally assigned No. 41. But after experiencing a dream where in which he was a member a World Series winner wearing the No. 55, and then waking up to see images of newly-drafted Patriots’ linebacker Willie McGinest (No. 55), Butterfield made the plea to Buck Showalter to claim the new number.
The new Red Sox third base coach has gone on to wear No. 55 up until his current stint, having to change to No. 13 with Ryan Kalish wearing double-nickels. (In fairness, Kalish offered the number up to Butterfield, but the coach declined.)
So, why No. 13? “Bam Childress,” he said, referencing the former Patriots’ practice squader.
Butterfield wasn’t intent on immortalizing Childress, but to fall in line with the theme it appears to be good enough for now.
Speaking of the third base coach, he could be seen simulating waving in and stopping runners during batting practice, attempting to guess where each ball was going to land on the JetBlue Field Thursday prior to the Red Sox’ game against Northeastern.
The toughest ball to judge? “Devil’s Corner,” he said, referencing the left field foul ground against the wall. “It never tells the truth.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt