Why Brian Butterfield has Bam Childress, ‘Devil’s Corner’ on the brain
|02.21.13 at 12:05 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — So the story goes …
When Brian Butterfield was on the coaching staff in Arizona he was originally assigned No. 41. But after experiencing a dream where in which he was a member a World Series winner wearing the No. 55, and then waking up to see images of newly-drafted Patriots’ linebacker Willie McGinest (No. 55), Butterfield made the plea to Buck Showalter to claim the new number.
The new Red Sox third base coach has gone on to wear No. 55 up until his current stint, having to change to No. 13 with Ryan Kalish wearing double-nickels. (In fairness, Kalish offered the number up to Butterfield, but the coach declined.)
So, why No. 13? “Bam Childress,” he said, referencing the former Patriots’ practice squader.
Butterfield wasn’t intent on immortalizing Childress, but to fall in line with the theme it appears to be good enough for now.
Speaking of the third base coach, he could be seen simulating waving in and stopping runners during batting practice, attempting to guess where each ball was going to land on the JetBlue Field Thursday prior to the Red Sox’ game against Northeastern.
The toughest ball to judge? “Devil’s Corner,” he said, referencing the left field foul ground against the wall. “It never tells the truth.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher