Why Brian Butterfield has Bam Childress, ‘Devil’s Corner’ on the brain
|02.21.13 at 12:05 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — So the story goes …
When Brian Butterfield was on the coaching staff in Arizona he was originally assigned No. 41. But after experiencing a dream where in which he was a member a World Series winner wearing the No. 55, and then waking up to see images of newly-drafted Patriots’ linebacker Willie McGinest (No. 55), Butterfield made the plea to Buck Showalter to claim the new number.
The new Red Sox third base coach has gone on to wear No. 55 up until his current stint, having to change to No. 13 with Ryan Kalish wearing double-nickels. (In fairness, Kalish offered the number up to Butterfield, but the coach declined.)
So, why No. 13? “Bam Childress,” he said, referencing the former Patriots’ practice squader.
Butterfield wasn’t intent on immortalizing Childress, but to fall in line with the theme it appears to be good enough for now.
Speaking of the third base coach, he could be seen simulating waving in and stopping runners during batting practice, attempting to guess where each ball was going to land on the JetBlue Field Thursday prior to the Red Sox’ game against Northeastern.
The toughest ball to judge? “Devil’s Corner,” he said, referencing the left field foul ground against the wall. “It never tells the truth.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen