Why Brian Butterfield has Bam Childress, ‘Devil’s Corner’ on the brain
|02.21.13 at 12:05 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — So the story goes …
When Brian Butterfield was on the coaching staff in Arizona he was originally assigned No. 41. But after experiencing a dream where in which he was a member a World Series winner wearing the No. 55, and then waking up to see images of newly-drafted Patriots’ linebacker Willie McGinest (No. 55), Butterfield made the plea to Buck Showalter to claim the new number.
The new Red Sox third base coach has gone on to wear No. 55 up until his current stint, having to change to No. 13 with Ryan Kalish wearing double-nickels. (In fairness, Kalish offered the number up to Butterfield, but the coach declined.)
So, why No. 13? “Bam Childress,” he said, referencing the former Patriots’ practice squader.
Butterfield wasn’t intent on immortalizing Childress, but to fall in line with the theme it appears to be good enough for now.
Speaking of the third base coach, he could be seen simulating waving in and stopping runners during batting practice, attempting to guess where each ball was going to land on the JetBlue Field Thursday prior to the Red Sox’ game against Northeastern.
The toughest ball to judge? “Devil’s Corner,” he said, referencing the left field foul ground against the wall. “It never tells the truth.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot