Curt Schilling reacts to his number finally being given out
|02.22.13 at 12:31 pm ET|
Mike Carp was assigned the digits, with every other number (not approaching 100) — except Dwight Evans‘ No. 24 — having already been taken.
Carp, who has no history with the number, was surprised to learn he had garnered such elite numerical status.
“I’ve always been in the 20’s. I’m proud to wear it if Schilling was the last to wear it. It’s quite a person to follow. Hopefully he took the strikeouts with him.”
Schilling — who used his former number in the title of such things as his blog and company’s name — was reflective when informed of the news.
In a text, the former pitcher offered this tongue-in-cheek response: “Clearly the athletic ability inherent in, and now transferred to Mike, will give him a huge advantage. Also, if he finds himself answering media questions with depth and breadth he’s not used to, well, that’s likely the number’s fault, as well. Also, if he finds himself becoming conservative and believing in smaller govt., well that’s not the number but tell him I’m proud of him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo