Curt Schilling reacts to his number finally being given out
|02.22.13 at 12:31 pm ET|
Mike Carp was assigned the digits, with every other number (not approaching 100) — except Dwight Evans‘ No. 24 — having already been taken.
Carp, who has no history with the number, was surprised to learn he had garnered such elite numerical status.
“I’ve always been in the 20’s. I’m proud to wear it if Schilling was the last to wear it. It’s quite a person to follow. Hopefully he took the strikeouts with him.”
Schilling — who used his former number in the title of such things as his blog and company’s name — was reflective when informed of the news.
In a text, the former pitcher offered this tongue-in-cheek response: “Clearly the athletic ability inherent in, and now transferred to Mike, will give him a huge advantage. Also, if he finds himself answering media questions with depth and breadth he’s not used to, well, that’s likely the number’s fault, as well. Also, if he finds himself becoming conservative and believing in smaller govt., well that’s not the number but tell him I’m proud of him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston