Curt Schilling reacts to his number finally being given out
|02.22.13 at 12:31 pm ET|
Mike Carp was assigned the digits, with every other number (not approaching 100) — except Dwight Evans‘ No. 24 — having already been taken.
Carp, who has no history with the number, was surprised to learn he had garnered such elite numerical status.
“I’ve always been in the 20’s. I’m proud to wear it if Schilling was the last to wear it. It’s quite a person to follow. Hopefully he took the strikeouts with him.”
Schilling — who used his former number in the title of such things as his blog and company’s name — was reflective when informed of the news.
In a text, the former pitcher offered this tongue-in-cheek response: “Clearly the athletic ability inherent in, and now transferred to Mike, will give him a huge advantage. Also, if he finds himself answering media questions with depth and breadth he’s not used to, well, that’s likely the number’s fault, as well. Also, if he finds himself becoming conservative and believing in smaller govt., well that’s not the number but tell him I’m proud of him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers