John Lackey rebounds, allows one run on 20 pitches in spring debut
|02.23.13 at 2:18 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Well John Lackey has the art of getting out of a big jam down so far in spring training.
In his first 10 pitches Saturday against the Rays at JetBlue Park, he walked Ben Zobrist on five pitches, allowed a first-pitch single to Desmond Jennings and hit Matt Joyce on the fourth pitch of the at-bat to load the bases with none out.
Lackey rebounded to strike out Jack Cust swinging on four pitches, one of his two swing-and-miss offerings on the day. Ryan Roberts drove a 1-0 pitch to right field for a sacrifice fly to score Zobrist.
Lackey completed his comeback, getting Sean Rodriguez to fly out to right for the final out.
His line: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K and 1 HBP on 20 pitches, 10 strikes.
His pitch-by-pitch went like this:
Jennings: X (single to left)
Joyce: BFBX(hit by pitch)
Roberts: BX(Sac fly to right)
Rodriguez: SBLX (fly to right)
For more, visit the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected