John Lackey rebounds, allows one run on 20 pitches in spring debut
|02.23.13 at 2:18 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Well John Lackey has the art of getting out of a big jam down so far in spring training.
In his first 10 pitches Saturday against the Rays at JetBlue Park, he walked Ben Zobrist on five pitches, allowed a first-pitch single to Desmond Jennings and hit Matt Joyce on the fourth pitch of the at-bat to load the bases with none out.
Lackey rebounded to strike out Jack Cust swinging on four pitches, one of his two swing-and-miss offerings on the day. Ryan Roberts drove a 1-0 pitch to right field for a sacrifice fly to score Zobrist.
Lackey completed his comeback, getting Sean Rodriguez to fly out to right for the final out.
His line: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K and 1 HBP on 20 pitches, 10 strikes.
His pitch-by-pitch went like this:
Jennings: X (single to left)
Joyce: BFBX(hit by pitch)
Roberts: BX(Sac fly to right)
Rodriguez: SBLX (fly to right)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi