Mike Napoli runs bases, might play later in week
|02.24.13 at 11:52 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Mike Napoli took a few more steps toward getting in a spring training game, executing a series of baserunning drills Sunday morning for the first time since he arrived in camp.
With strength and conditioning coach Pat Sandora and assistant trainer Brad Pearson looking on, Napoli simulated singles and doubles before conferring with the medical staff. Baserunning was perceived as one of the final tests for Napoli, who is being brought along slowly after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips.
‘It wasn’t a full-go, but it felt good to just run and make the turns,’ he said.
Napoli surmised that if all goes well — with the first baseman planning to do additional running drills Monday — he could appear in a game later in the week.
‘It feels good. I expect to be fine,’ he said. ‘I’m just going through the steps of what they want me to do. I’m fine with it. As long as I’m ready for Opening Day, which I should be easily. It’s a long spring and I’ll just get myself in shape and be ready to go.’
Napoli also said he expects that he will start by playing first base in the games. ‘Just to get my legs in shape out there,’ he said, reiterating that he didn’t know the exact plan.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe