Mike Napoli runs bases, might play later in week
|02.24.13 at 11:52 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Mike Napoli took a few more steps toward getting in a spring training game, executing a series of baserunning drills Sunday morning for the first time since he arrived in camp.
With strength and conditioning coach Pat Sandora and assistant trainer Brad Pearson looking on, Napoli simulated singles and doubles before conferring with the medical staff. Baserunning was perceived as one of the final tests for Napoli, who is being brought along slowly after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips.
‘It wasn’t a full-go, but it felt good to just run and make the turns,’ he said.
Napoli surmised that if all goes well — with the first baseman planning to do additional running drills Monday — he could appear in a game later in the week.
‘It feels good. I expect to be fine,’ he said. ‘I’m just going through the steps of what they want me to do. I’m fine with it. As long as I’m ready for Opening Day, which I should be easily. It’s a long spring and I’ll just get myself in shape and be ready to go.’
Napoli also said he expects that he will start by playing first base in the games. ‘Just to get my legs in shape out there,’ he said, reiterating that he didn’t know the exact plan.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville