Mike Napoli runs bases, might play later in week
|02.24.13 at 11:52 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Mike Napoli took a few more steps toward getting in a spring training game, executing a series of baserunning drills Sunday morning for the first time since he arrived in camp.
With strength and conditioning coach Pat Sandora and assistant trainer Brad Pearson looking on, Napoli simulated singles and doubles before conferring with the medical staff. Baserunning was perceived as one of the final tests for Napoli, who is being brought along slowly after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips.
‘It wasn’t a full-go, but it felt good to just run and make the turns,’ he said.
Napoli surmised that if all goes well — with the first baseman planning to do additional running drills Monday — he could appear in a game later in the week.
‘It feels good. I expect to be fine,’ he said. ‘I’m just going through the steps of what they want me to do. I’m fine with it. As long as I’m ready for Opening Day, which I should be easily. It’s a long spring and I’ll just get myself in shape and be ready to go.’
Napoli also said he expects that he will start by playing first base in the games. ‘Just to get my legs in shape out there,’ he said, reiterating that he didn’t know the exact plan.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title