Mike Napoli runs bases, might play later in week
|02.24.13 at 11:52 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Mike Napoli took a few more steps toward getting in a spring training game, executing a series of baserunning drills Sunday morning for the first time since he arrived in camp.
With strength and conditioning coach Pat Sandora and assistant trainer Brad Pearson looking on, Napoli simulated singles and doubles before conferring with the medical staff. Baserunning was perceived as one of the final tests for Napoli, who is being brought along slowly after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips.
‘It wasn’t a full-go, but it felt good to just run and make the turns,’ he said.
Napoli surmised that if all goes well — with the first baseman planning to do additional running drills Monday — he could appear in a game later in the week.
‘It feels good. I expect to be fine,’ he said. ‘I’m just going through the steps of what they want me to do. I’m fine with it. As long as I’m ready for Opening Day, which I should be easily. It’s a long spring and I’ll just get myself in shape and be ready to go.’
Napoli also said he expects that he will start by playing first base in the games. ‘Just to get my legs in shape out there,’ he said, reiterating that he didn’t know the exact plan.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens