Bryce Brentz expected to play games in the coming weeks
|03.01.13 at 4:26 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Outfielder Bryce Brentz, the minor league prospect who accidentally shot himself in the leg while cleaning a handgun, has not yet been cleared to take part in full baseball activities. To this point, according to Red Sox farm director Ben Crockett, he’s hitting and throwing on flat ground but he cannot yet sprint at full speed.
As a result, he has yet to participate in any spring training games (which often feature extra players from minor league camp in the late innings), but the Sox expect that he will be able to do so at some point this month.
“We fully expect at some point in camp he’d be over in games here. When, we don’t have the exact date but we’re hopeful that he would be back at full baseball activity and get into games on our side,” said Farrell.
Farrell said that he expects Brentz to be game-ready by the time minor league contests begin on March 13, with opportunities to enter games in big league camp soon to follow.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two