Bryce Brentz expected to play games in the coming weeks
|03.01.13 at 4:26 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Outfielder Bryce Brentz, the minor league prospect who accidentally shot himself in the leg while cleaning a handgun, has not yet been cleared to take part in full baseball activities. To this point, according to Red Sox farm director Ben Crockett, he’s hitting and throwing on flat ground but he cannot yet sprint at full speed.
As a result, he has yet to participate in any spring training games (which often feature extra players from minor league camp in the late innings), but the Sox expect that he will be able to do so at some point this month.
“We fully expect at some point in camp he’d be over in games here. When, we don’t have the exact date but we’re hopeful that he would be back at full baseball activity and get into games on our side,” said Farrell.
Farrell said that he expects Brentz to be game-ready by the time minor league contests begin on March 13, with opportunities to enter games in big league camp soon to follow.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland