|Mike Napoli makes his Red Sox debut; Middlebrooks not in lineup||03.01.13 at 2:48 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox will play the Pirates at JetBlue Park on Friday night, a game that will mark the Sox debut of new first baseman Mike Napoli. However, while Napoli — whose start to the spring was slowed slightly while he and the Sox followed a program meant to ensure the well-being on his hips, following his offseason diagnosis with avascular necrosis — is in the lineup (batting cleanup and playing first base), third baseman Will Middlebrooks is not playing, two days removed from his awkward check-swing against the Orioles.
Still, Middlebrooks says he remains fine, and he was actually surprised that he wasn’t in the lineup, suggesting that he has no residue of pain in his right wrist.
“I hadn’t even seen the lineup. I was expecting to be in there,” said Middlebrooks, who added that he planned to take batting practice and take part in all normal pre-game baseball activities. “I haven’t even been in the training room. … I’m fine. No worries.”
The Red Sox lineup against the Pirates:
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Shane Victorino, RF
Mike Napoli, 1B
Stephen Drew, SS
Daniel Nava, LF
Ryan Lavarnway, C
Mark Hamilton, DH
Pedro Ciriaco, 3B
Jon Lester, LHP
Other pitchers slated to work on Friday include knuckleballer Stephen Wright and flamethrower Rubby De La Rosa, along with relief prospect Alex Wilson.
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wright's bounce-back start lifts Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart, Cecchini once again lead Salem