Mike Napoli makes his Red Sox debut; Middlebrooks not in lineup
|03.01.13 at 2:48 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox will play the Pirates at JetBlue Park on Friday night, a game that will mark the Sox debut of new first baseman Mike Napoli. However, while Napoli — whose start to the spring was slowed slightly while he and the Sox followed a program meant to ensure the well-being on his hips, following his offseason diagnosis with avascular necrosis — is in the lineup (batting cleanup and playing first base), third baseman Will Middlebrooks is not playing, two days removed from his awkward check-swing against the Orioles.
Still, Middlebrooks says he remains fine, and he was actually surprised that he wasn’t in the lineup, suggesting that he has no residue of pain in his right wrist.
“I hadn’t even seen the lineup. I was expecting to be in there,” said Middlebrooks, who added that he planned to take batting practice and take part in all normal pre-game baseball activities. “I haven’t even been in the training room. … I’m fine. No worries.”
The Red Sox lineup against the Pirates:
Jon Lester, LHP
Other pitchers slated to work on Friday include knuckleballer Stephen Wright and flamethrower Rubby De La Rosa, along with relief prospect Alex Wilson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!