David Ortiz may be ready to play by the end of next week
|03.02.13 at 11:08 am ET|
John Farrell told reporters in Fort Myers Saturday that David Ortiz — who is conducting his second round of baserunning drills, Saturday — may be ready to participate in a spring training game by the end of of next week. For reference sake, the Red Sox play night games at JetBlue Park both Friday and Saturday, against the Twins and Orioles, respectively.
If Ortiz was to return on the predicted timetable, it would leave him three weeks of at-bats prior to Opening Day in New York. Farrell surmised that the minimum number of games the designated hitter would need to prepare for the opener would be two weeks’ worth.
Ortiz has experienced no setbacks throughout spring training in regarding his recovering from an Achilles ailment, other than having to leave camp for a few days earlier this week due to a personal matter. (See video below of Ortiz executing agility drills.)
Other injury news includes the back issues plaguing catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and pitcher Franklin Morales. Both are scheduled to only take a few days off. Reliever Pedro Beato has also experienced shoulder stiffness.
In World Baseball Classic news, Xander Bogaerts got his first taste of action at third base, going 0-for-2 with a walk and sacrifice in the Netherlands’ 5-0 win over Korea Saturday morning. Bogaerts, who hadn’t played third competitively since Little League, also started a 5-4-3 double play. And, in case you were wondering, the player who is playing shortstop for the Netherlands, Andrelton Simmons of the Braves, went 3-for-5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts