David Ortiz may be ready to play by the end of next week
|03.02.13 at 11:08 am ET|
John Farrell told reporters in Fort Myers Saturday that David Ortiz – who is conducting his second round of baserunning drills, Saturday — may be ready to participate in a spring training game by the end of of next week. For reference sake, the Red Sox play night games at JetBlue Park both Friday and Saturday, against the Twins and Orioles, respectively.
If Ortiz was to return on the predicted timetable, it would leave him three weeks of at-bats prior to Opening Day in New York. Farrell surmised that the minimum number of games the designated hitter would need to prepare for the opener would be two weeks’ worth.
Ortiz has experienced no setbacks throughout spring training in regarding his recovering from an Achilles ailment, other than having to leave camp for a few days earlier this week due to a personal matter. (See video below of Ortiz executing agility drills.)
Other injury news includes the back issues plaguing catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and pitcher Franklin Morales. Both are scheduled to only take a few days off. Reliever Pedro Beato has also experienced shoulder stiffness.
In World Baseball Classic news, Xander Bogaerts got his first taste of action at third base, going 0-for-2 with a walk and sacrifice in the Netherlands’ 5-0 win over Korea Saturday morning. Bogaerts, who hadn’t played third competitively since Little League, also started a 5-4-3 double play. And, in case you were wondering, the player who is playing shortstop for the Netherlands, Andrelton Simmons of the Braves, went 3-for-5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery