David Ortiz may be ready to play by the end of next week
|03.02.13 at 11:08 am ET|
John Farrell told reporters in Fort Myers Saturday that David Ortiz — who is conducting his second round of baserunning drills, Saturday — may be ready to participate in a spring training game by the end of of next week. For reference sake, the Red Sox play night games at JetBlue Park both Friday and Saturday, against the Twins and Orioles, respectively.
If Ortiz was to return on the predicted timetable, it would leave him three weeks of at-bats prior to Opening Day in New York. Farrell surmised that the minimum number of games the designated hitter would need to prepare for the opener would be two weeks’ worth.
Ortiz has experienced no setbacks throughout spring training in regarding his recovering from an Achilles ailment, other than having to leave camp for a few days earlier this week due to a personal matter. (See video below of Ortiz executing agility drills.)
Other injury news includes the back issues plaguing catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and pitcher Franklin Morales. Both are scheduled to only take a few days off. Reliever Pedro Beato has also experienced shoulder stiffness.
In World Baseball Classic news, Xander Bogaerts got his first taste of action at third base, going 0-for-2 with a walk and sacrifice in the Netherlands’ 5-0 win over Korea Saturday morning. Bogaerts, who hadn’t played third competitively since Little League, also started a 5-4-3 double play. And, in case you were wondering, the player who is playing shortstop for the Netherlands, Andrelton Simmons of the Braves, went 3-for-5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo