David Ortiz may be ready to play by the end of next week
|03.02.13 at 11:08 am ET|
John Farrell told reporters in Fort Myers Saturday that David Ortiz — who is conducting his second round of baserunning drills, Saturday — may be ready to participate in a spring training game by the end of of next week. For reference sake, the Red Sox play night games at JetBlue Park both Friday and Saturday, against the Twins and Orioles, respectively.
If Ortiz was to return on the predicted timetable, it would leave him three weeks of at-bats prior to Opening Day in New York. Farrell surmised that the minimum number of games the designated hitter would need to prepare for the opener would be two weeks’ worth.
Ortiz has experienced no setbacks throughout spring training in regarding his recovering from an Achilles ailment, other than having to leave camp for a few days earlier this week due to a personal matter. (See video below of Ortiz executing agility drills.)
Other injury news includes the back issues plaguing catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and pitcher Franklin Morales. Both are scheduled to only take a few days off. Reliever Pedro Beato has also experienced shoulder stiffness.
In World Baseball Classic news, Xander Bogaerts got his first taste of action at third base, going 0-for-2 with a walk and sacrifice in the Netherlands’ 5-0 win over Korea Saturday morning. Bogaerts, who hadn’t played third competitively since Little League, also started a 5-4-3 double play. And, in case you were wondering, the player who is playing shortstop for the Netherlands, Andrelton Simmons of the Braves, went 3-for-5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller