David Ortiz’ latest running drills postponed, but designated hitter isn’t worried
|03.03.13 at 7:38 pm ET|
John Farrell said after his team’s 5-2 spring training loss to the Yankees Sunday afternoon that David Ortiz‘ planned baserunning was pushed back a day due to ‘a little bit of soreness’ in the designated hitter’s right Achilles tendon.
The plan is for Ortiz to execute the baserunning drills Monday, with an eye on possibly seeing game action later in the week.
‘There’s no inflammation, so to speak,’ Farrell told reporters. ‘He’s getting regular treatment and regular care with that. The plan called for him to run the bases, but just the way he felt, we felt he was better served to back off it for a day.’
Farrell explained that the team would like to see Ortiz participate in baserunning drills on back-to-back days before being cleared to play in spring training games.
‘That would be the ideal goal,’ the manager said regarding the topic of consecutive days of running. ‘Physical testing on the field is going to give us the go-ahead to proceed forward. Today was just working off how he felt.’
Ortiz told multiple media outlets that the doctors informed him the soreness was to be expected ‘ breaking up what he has repeatedly referred to as a ‘calcification’ of the area –and he was still optimistic about playing later in the week.
“I’m doing [well],” Ortiz told MLB.com. “Yesterday, I got a little sore afterwards, but they say that’s part of the process. I’m moving forward. I went hard at it yesterday. We’re pretty close [to playing].”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle
- Manuel Margot promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Gem by Matt Barnes leads PawSox