David Ortiz’ latest running drills postponed, but designated hitter isn’t worried
|03.03.13 at 7:38 pm ET|
John Farrell said after his team’s 5-2 spring training loss to the Yankees Sunday afternoon that David Ortiz‘ planned baserunning was pushed back a day due to ‘a little bit of soreness’ in the designated hitter’s right Achilles tendon.
The plan is for Ortiz to execute the baserunning drills Monday, with an eye on possibly seeing game action later in the week.
‘There’s no inflammation, so to speak,’ Farrell told reporters. ‘He’s getting regular treatment and regular care with that. The plan called for him to run the bases, but just the way he felt, we felt he was better served to back off it for a day.’
Farrell explained that the team would like to see Ortiz participate in baserunning drills on back-to-back days before being cleared to play in spring training games.
‘That would be the ideal goal,’ the manager said regarding the topic of consecutive days of running. ‘Physical testing on the field is going to give us the go-ahead to proceed forward. Today was just working off how he felt.’
Ortiz told multiple media outlets that the doctors informed him the soreness was to be expected ‘ breaking up what he has repeatedly referred to as a ‘calcification’ of the area –and he was still optimistic about playing later in the week.
“I’m doing [well],” Ortiz told MLB.com. “Yesterday, I got a little sore afterwards, but they say that’s part of the process. I’m moving forward. I went hard at it yesterday. We’re pretty close [to playing].”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!