Deven Marrero is leaving camp, but not before he got a big dose of Dustin Pedroia
|03.04.13 at 9:05 am ET|
The Red Sox made three roster moves Monday, optioning pitcher Drake Britton to Double-A Portland, while reassigning infielder/outfielder Justin Henry and shortstop Deven Marrero to minor league camp.
The moves leave the Red Sox with 57 players in big league camp, including 17 non-roster invitees.
Marrero, the Red Sox’ first-round pick of a year ago, got in three spring training games, going 1-for-2. Henry saw action in seven games, notching one hit in eight at-bats.
Britton made two relief appearances, allowing three runs on five hits and four walks over 3 1/3 innings.
For Marrero, who was the first Red Sox position player since Scott Hatteberg to be invited to big league camp the year after being drafted, the experience was invaluable.
‘It being my first camp, especially coming to big league camp, I just wanted to get my work in and look at these guys and pick their brains,’ he said. ‘They’re here for a reason. They’ve been playing this game for a while. They’ve stayed in the big leagues and that’s something I want to do. I want to watch how they go about their business.’
A bonus for Marrero ‘ getting a closer look at fellow Arizona State product Dustin Pedroia.
‘I think that’s the most surprising thing to me, is how he goes about his business,’ Marrero said. ‘He practices how he plays. I thought he might take a break. He doesn’t. He goes at it hard every second. It’s how I want to model my game after, too.
‘It’s pretty awesome. He has fun with everybody. Even when he goes back to ASU, he’s the same guy. He goes over there, goofs around, has fun with all the guys and he works hard, too.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler