Deven Marrero is leaving camp, but not before he got a big dose of Dustin Pedroia
|03.04.13 at 9:05 am ET|
The Red Sox made three roster moves Monday, optioning pitcher Drake Britton to Double-A Portland, while reassigning infielder/outfielder Justin Henry and shortstop Deven Marrero to minor league camp.
The moves leave the Red Sox with 57 players in big league camp, including 17 non-roster invitees.
Marrero, the Red Sox’ first-round pick of a year ago, got in three spring training games, going 1-for-2. Henry saw action in seven games, notching one hit in eight at-bats.
Britton made two relief appearances, allowing three runs on five hits and four walks over 3 1/3 innings.
For Marrero, who was the first Red Sox position player since Scott Hatteberg to be invited to big league camp the year after being drafted, the experience was invaluable.
‘It being my first camp, especially coming to big league camp, I just wanted to get my work in and look at these guys and pick their brains,’ he said. ‘They’re here for a reason. They’ve been playing this game for a while. They’ve stayed in the big leagues and that’s something I want to do. I want to watch how they go about their business.’
A bonus for Marrero ‘ getting a closer look at fellow Arizona State product Dustin Pedroia.
‘I think that’s the most surprising thing to me, is how he goes about his business,’ Marrero said. ‘He practices how he plays. I thought he might take a break. He doesn’t. He goes at it hard every second. It’s how I want to model my game after, too.
‘It’s pretty awesome. He has fun with everybody. Even when he goes back to ASU, he’s the same guy. He goes over there, goofs around, has fun with all the guys and he works hard, too.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston