Deven Marrero is leaving camp, but not before he got a big dose of Dustin Pedroia
|03.04.13 at 9:05 am ET|
The Red Sox made three roster moves Monday, optioning pitcher Drake Britton to Double-A Portland, while reassigning infielder/outfielder Justin Henry and shortstop Deven Marrero to minor league camp.
The moves leave the Red Sox with 57 players in big league camp, including 17 non-roster invitees.
Marrero, the Red Sox’ first-round pick of a year ago, got in three spring training games, going 1-for-2. Henry saw action in seven games, notching one hit in eight at-bats.
Britton made two relief appearances, allowing three runs on five hits and four walks over 3 1/3 innings.
For Marrero, who was the first Red Sox position player since Scott Hatteberg to be invited to big league camp the year after being drafted, the experience was invaluable.
‘It being my first camp, especially coming to big league camp, I just wanted to get my work in and look at these guys and pick their brains,’ he said. ‘They’re here for a reason. They’ve been playing this game for a while. They’ve stayed in the big leagues and that’s something I want to do. I want to watch how they go about their business.’
A bonus for Marrero ‘ getting a closer look at fellow Arizona State product Dustin Pedroia.
‘I think that’s the most surprising thing to me, is how he goes about his business,’ Marrero said. ‘He practices how he plays. I thought he might take a break. He doesn’t. He goes at it hard every second. It’s how I want to model my game after, too.
‘It’s pretty awesome. He has fun with everybody. Even when he goes back to ASU, he’s the same guy. He goes over there, goofs around, has fun with all the guys and he works hard, too.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system