Ryan Westmoreland announces retirement from Red Sox
|03.06.13 at 2:18 pm ET|
Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland, who has had two brain surgeries in the last three years, on Wednesday announced that he was retiring from baseball.
Westmoreland had surgery in March 2010 to remove a cavernous malformation from his brain stem. He showed dramatic progress before needing a second surgery last July.
“With a clear mind and heart, as well as the unwavering support and friendship of my family, friends, agent, doctors, therapists and the Boston Red Sox, I have decided to voluntarily retire as a professional baseball player,” Westmoreland wrote in an e-mail sent to members of the media. “Although it is a very difficult decision for me, it has become clear that the neurological damage caused by the most recent cavernous malformation and surgery leaves me with physical challenges that make it impossible to play the game at such a high level.”
Westmoreland, 22, was selected in the fifth round of the 2008 draft out of Rhode Island’s Portsmouth High School. He received a $2 million bonus to sign with the Red Sox instead of playing at Vanderbilt and was considered one of the organization’s top prospects before his medical issues.
In his only minor league season, in 2009 with Single-A Lowell, Westmoreland hit .296/.401/.484/.885 with seven home runs, 35 RBIs and 19 stolen bases in 60 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins