Craig Breslow not expected to be ready for Opening Day
|03.07.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to his team’s spring training game with the Twins that reliever Craig Breslow — who has been dealing with left shoulder stiffness — most likely won’t be ready to contribute by the time the Sox take on the Yankees in the season-opener on April 1.
‘He’s in the strengthening today. He’s on an every other day throwing program right now,” Farrell said of Breslow. “It’s hard to project right now that he’ll be ready to go once camp breaks. He’s going to need a little time. He’s going to have to go back through not only the long toss progression but bullpens and (batting practice), that normal progression. For a reliever, it’s a little bit shorter but still, he’s got some steps he’s got to go through.”
Another lefty who has been slowed is Franklin Morales (back stiffness), who Farrell explained will have to enter the season on a reliever’s program due to his relative inactivity. Morales was originally slated to be stretched out as a starter.
There is also no certainty that Morales, who has been on anti-inflammatories, will be available by Opening Day.
“Depenidng on these next probably five to seven days go and how he can pick back up in the throwing program, that’s going to give us a better read on whether he’s going to be ready to go,” Farrell said. “But he’s had one appearance and one inning. It’s not been a lot.”
With the two ailments putting a dent in the left-handed options in the Red Sox’ bullpen, some righties who have had success against lefty hitters — such as Koji Uehara and Clayton Mortensen — may be relied on to fill the role short-term.
“Coming into camp, there was, just by numbers, there was a surplus, and just some guys out of options,” the manager explained.” They’re limited in what movement you can do with certain guys. This is clear proof that it has a way of sorting itself out at some point.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive