Craig Breslow not expected to be ready for Opening Day
|03.07.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to his team’s spring training game with the Twins that reliever Craig Breslow — who has been dealing with left shoulder stiffness — most likely won’t be ready to contribute by the time the Sox take on the Yankees in the season-opener on April 1.
‘He’s in the strengthening today. He’s on an every other day throwing program right now,” Farrell said of Breslow. “It’s hard to project right now that he’ll be ready to go once camp breaks. He’s going to need a little time. He’s going to have to go back through not only the long toss progression but bullpens and (batting practice), that normal progression. For a reliever, it’s a little bit shorter but still, he’s got some steps he’s got to go through.”
Another lefty who has been slowed is Franklin Morales (back stiffness), who Farrell explained will have to enter the season on a reliever’s program due to his relative inactivity. Morales was originally slated to be stretched out as a starter.
There is also no certainty that Morales, who has been on anti-inflammatories, will be available by Opening Day.
“Depenidng on these next probably five to seven days go and how he can pick back up in the throwing program, that’s going to give us a better read on whether he’s going to be ready to go,” Farrell said. “But he’s had one appearance and one inning. It’s not been a lot.”
With the two ailments putting a dent in the left-handed options in the Red Sox’ bullpen, some righties who have had success against lefty hitters — such as Koji Uehara and Clayton Mortensen — may be relied on to fill the role short-term.
“Coming into camp, there was, just by numbers, there was a surplus, and just some guys out of options,” the manager explained.” They’re limited in what movement you can do with certain guys. This is clear proof that it has a way of sorting itself out at some point.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven