Craig Breslow not expected to be ready for Opening Day
|03.07.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to his team’s spring training game with the Twins that reliever Craig Breslow — who has been dealing with left shoulder stiffness — most likely won’t be ready to contribute by the time the Sox take on the Yankees in the season-opener on April 1.
‘He’s in the strengthening today. He’s on an every other day throwing program right now,” Farrell said of Breslow. “It’s hard to project right now that he’ll be ready to go once camp breaks. He’s going to need a little time. He’s going to have to go back through not only the long toss progression but bullpens and (batting practice), that normal progression. For a reliever, it’s a little bit shorter but still, he’s got some steps he’s got to go through.”
Another lefty who has been slowed is Franklin Morales (back stiffness), who Farrell explained will have to enter the season on a reliever’s program due to his relative inactivity. Morales was originally slated to be stretched out as a starter.
There is also no certainty that Morales, who has been on anti-inflammatories, will be available by Opening Day.
“Depenidng on these next probably five to seven days go and how he can pick back up in the throwing program, that’s going to give us a better read on whether he’s going to be ready to go,” Farrell said. “But he’s had one appearance and one inning. It’s not been a lot.”
With the two ailments putting a dent in the left-handed options in the Red Sox’ bullpen, some righties who have had success against lefty hitters — such as Koji Uehara and Clayton Mortensen — may be relied on to fill the role short-term.
“Coming into camp, there was, just by numbers, there was a surplus, and just some guys out of options,” the manager explained.” They’re limited in what movement you can do with certain guys. This is clear proof that it has a way of sorting itself out at some point.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo