Craig Breslow not expected to be ready for Opening Day
|03.07.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to his team’s spring training game with the Twins that reliever Craig Breslow — who has been dealing with left shoulder stiffness — most likely won’t be ready to contribute by the time the Sox take on the Yankees in the season-opener on April 1.
‘He’s in the strengthening today. He’s on an every other day throwing program right now,” Farrell said of Breslow. “It’s hard to project right now that he’ll be ready to go once camp breaks. He’s going to need a little time. He’s going to have to go back through not only the long toss progression but bullpens and (batting practice), that normal progression. For a reliever, it’s a little bit shorter but still, he’s got some steps he’s got to go through.”
Another lefty who has been slowed is Franklin Morales (back stiffness), who Farrell explained will have to enter the season on a reliever’s program due to his relative inactivity. Morales was originally slated to be stretched out as a starter.
There is also no certainty that Morales, who has been on anti-inflammatories, will be available by Opening Day.
“Depenidng on these next probably five to seven days go and how he can pick back up in the throwing program, that’s going to give us a better read on whether he’s going to be ready to go,” Farrell said. “But he’s had one appearance and one inning. It’s not been a lot.”
With the two ailments putting a dent in the left-handed options in the Red Sox’ bullpen, some righties who have had success against lefty hitters — such as Koji Uehara and Clayton Mortensen — may be relied on to fill the role short-term.
“Coming into camp, there was, just by numbers, there was a surplus, and just some guys out of options,” the manager explained.” They’re limited in what movement you can do with certain guys. This is clear proof that it has a way of sorting itself out at some point.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Devers homers, Shawaryn stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching