David Ortiz after running: ‘I don’t think I can play like that’
|03.07.13 at 11:14 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Prior to taking batting practice, David Ortiz executed some light running at JetBlue Park Thursday.
While the designated hitter was encouraged he was able to do another round of running exercises ‘ testing his injured right Achilles tendon ‘ Ortiz explained that the soreness hasn’t gone away as he had hoped.
‘Like I am right now? I don’t think I can play like that,’ he said. ‘If it gets better and it doesn’t bother me that much, yes, I’ll probably be able to deal with it.
‘I have to get out of my mind the rushing (trying to be ready for Opening Day) thing, because that just gets me worse. I have to stick with the plan and try not get it worse.’
Ortiz explained that he had more pain Wednesday than he felt during his latest round of running. There was some question earlier in the morning if the DH would be participating in the drills, but after stretching the medical staff gave him clearance.
‘It feels better today. Feels less sore,’ he said. ‘Yesterday was pretty sore. It’s a roller-coaster, but they say that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I don’t know. I’m just doing what I’m told and go from there.’
Ortiz will now wait to see how the leg responds before scheduling his next running exercise.
‘Now I just get treatment, and wait,’ he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split