David Ortiz after running: ‘I don’t think I can play like that’
|03.07.13 at 11:14 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Prior to taking batting practice, David Ortiz executed some light running at JetBlue Park Thursday.
While the designated hitter was encouraged he was able to do another round of running exercises ‘ testing his injured right Achilles tendon ‘ Ortiz explained that the soreness hasn’t gone away as he had hoped.
‘Like I am right now? I don’t think I can play like that,’ he said. ‘If it gets better and it doesn’t bother me that much, yes, I’ll probably be able to deal with it.
‘I have to get out of my mind the rushing (trying to be ready for Opening Day) thing, because that just gets me worse. I have to stick with the plan and try not get it worse.’
Ortiz explained that he had more pain Wednesday than he felt during his latest round of running. There was some question earlier in the morning if the DH would be participating in the drills, but after stretching the medical staff gave him clearance.
‘It feels better today. Feels less sore,’ he said. ‘Yesterday was pretty sore. It’s a roller-coaster, but they say that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I don’t know. I’m just doing what I’m told and go from there.’
Ortiz will now wait to see how the leg responds before scheduling his next running exercise.
‘Now I just get treatment, and wait,’ he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle
- Manuel Margot promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Gem by Matt Barnes leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way as Salem takes two