David Ortiz after running: ‘I don’t think I can play like that’
|03.07.13 at 11:14 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Prior to taking batting practice, David Ortiz executed some light running at JetBlue Park Thursday.
While the designated hitter was encouraged he was able to do another round of running exercises ‘ testing his injured right Achilles tendon ‘ Ortiz explained that the soreness hasn’t gone away as he had hoped.
‘Like I am right now? I don’t think I can play like that,’ he said. ‘If it gets better and it doesn’t bother me that much, yes, I’ll probably be able to deal with it.
‘I have to get out of my mind the rushing (trying to be ready for Opening Day) thing, because that just gets me worse. I have to stick with the plan and try not get it worse.’
Ortiz explained that he had more pain Wednesday than he felt during his latest round of running. There was some question earlier in the morning if the DH would be participating in the drills, but after stretching the medical staff gave him clearance.
‘It feels better today. Feels less sore,’ he said. ‘Yesterday was pretty sore. It’s a roller-coaster, but they say that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I don’t know. I’m just doing what I’m told and go from there.’
Ortiz will now wait to see how the leg responds before scheduling his next running exercise.
‘Now I just get treatment, and wait,’ he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday