Alfredo Aceves gets punched, ejected in Mexico-Canada brawl
|03.09.13 at 6:18 pm ET|
Red Sox reliever Alfredo Aceves was punched in the right side of the head by Phillies outfield prospect Tyson Gillies during a wild brawl between Team Canada and Team Mexico in the ninth inning of a World Baseball Classic preliminary round game. Aceves had run from the dugout into a fast-growing skirmish, but as he approached the accumulation of players, Gillies appeared to blind side Aceves in the side of the head. Aceves got up and sprinted after Gillies, only to be tackled by a sizable contingent of players from Team Canada. When he emerged from the pile-up, there was discoloration — evidently, welts — on the right side of his head.
“It looked like he came out of it OK from everything else but a couple of welts on his head,” said Sox manager John Farrell. ‘We had a message from their trainer that he came out of it OK despite taking a couple of left hooks to the head.’
Aceves had not pitched in the game at the time of the brawl. The score of the game was 9-3 at the time of the rumble, which started when Team Mexico pitcher Arnold Leon drilled Twins outfielder Rene Tosoni with a pitch. After the game, it was revealed that Aceves was one of seven players who had been ejected from the game after the melee — a fact that was hard to discern given that he remained in the dugout for the duration of the game.
Team Canada first base coach Larry Walker took it upon himself to restrain Aceves.
“I had ahold of him, and I thought I saw Satan in his eyes,” Walker told reporters.
With Team Mexico having been eliminated from the WBC, Aceves will soon return to Red Sox camp. However, Farrell said that he did not yet know when the pitcher would rejoin his club.
Your browser does not support iframes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome