|Alfredo Aceves gets punched, ejected in Mexico-Canada brawl||03.09.13 at 6:18 pm ET|
Red Sox reliever Alfredo Aceves was punched in the right side of the head by Phillies outfield prospect Tyson Gillies during a wild brawl between Team Canada and Team Mexico in the ninth inning of a World Baseball Classic preliminary round game. Aceves had run from the dugout into a fast-growing skirmish, but as he approached the accumulation of players, Gillies appeared to blind side Aceves in the side of the head. Aceves got up and sprinted after Gillies, only to be tackled by a sizable contingent of players from Team Canada. When he emerged from the pile-up, there was discoloration — evidently, welts — on the right side of his head.
“It looked like he came out of it OK from everything else but a couple of welts on his head,” said Sox manager John Farrell. “We had a message from their trainer that he came out of it OK despite taking a couple of left hooks to the head.”
Aceves had not pitched in the game at the time of the brawl. The score of the game was 9-3 at the time of the rumble, which started when Team Mexico pitcher Arnold Leon drilled Twins outfielder Rene Tosoni with a pitch. After the game, it was revealed that Aceves was one of seven players who had been ejected from the game after the melee — a fact that was hard to discern given that he remained in the dugout for the duration of the game.
Team Canada first base coach Larry Walker took it upon himself to restrain Aceves.
“I had ahold of him, and I thought I saw Satan in his eyes,” Walker told reporters.
With Team Mexico having been eliminated from the WBC, Aceves will soon return to Red Sox camp. However, Farrell said that he did not yet know when the pitcher would rejoin his club.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!