Alfredo Aceves gets punched, ejected in Mexico-Canada brawl
|03.09.13 at 6:18 pm ET|
Red Sox reliever Alfredo Aceves was punched in the right side of the head by Phillies outfield prospect Tyson Gillies during a wild brawl between Team Canada and Team Mexico in the ninth inning of a World Baseball Classic preliminary round game. Aceves had run from the dugout into a fast-growing skirmish, but as he approached the accumulation of players, Gillies appeared to blind side Aceves in the side of the head. Aceves got up and sprinted after Gillies, only to be tackled by a sizable contingent of players from Team Canada. When he emerged from the pile-up, there was discoloration — evidently, welts — on the right side of his head.
“It looked like he came out of it OK from everything else but a couple of welts on his head,” said Sox manager John Farrell. ‘We had a message from their trainer that he came out of it OK despite taking a couple of left hooks to the head.’
Aceves had not pitched in the game at the time of the brawl. The score of the game was 9-3 at the time of the rumble, which started when Team Mexico pitcher Arnold Leon drilled Twins outfielder Rene Tosoni with a pitch. After the game, it was revealed that Aceves was one of seven players who had been ejected from the game after the melee — a fact that was hard to discern given that he remained in the dugout for the duration of the game.
Team Canada first base coach Larry Walker took it upon himself to restrain Aceves.
“I had ahold of him, and I thought I saw Satan in his eyes,” Walker told reporters.
With Team Mexico having been eliminated from the WBC, Aceves will soon return to Red Sox camp. However, Farrell said that he did not yet know when the pitcher would rejoin his club.
Your browser does not support iframes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela