Alfredo Aceves gets punched, ejected in Mexico-Canada brawl
|03.09.13 at 6:18 pm ET|
Red Sox reliever Alfredo Aceves was punched in the right side of the head by Phillies outfield prospect Tyson Gillies during a wild brawl between Team Canada and Team Mexico in the ninth inning of a World Baseball Classic preliminary round game. Aceves had run from the dugout into a fast-growing skirmish, but as he approached the accumulation of players, Gillies appeared to blind side Aceves in the side of the head. Aceves got up and sprinted after Gillies, only to be tackled by a sizable contingent of players from Team Canada. When he emerged from the pile-up, there was discoloration — evidently, welts — on the right side of his head.
“It looked like he came out of it OK from everything else but a couple of welts on his head,” said Sox manager John Farrell. ‘We had a message from their trainer that he came out of it OK despite taking a couple of left hooks to the head.’
Aceves had not pitched in the game at the time of the brawl. The score of the game was 9-3 at the time of the rumble, which started when Team Mexico pitcher Arnold Leon drilled Twins outfielder Rene Tosoni with a pitch. After the game, it was revealed that Aceves was one of seven players who had been ejected from the game after the melee — a fact that was hard to discern given that he remained in the dugout for the duration of the game.
Team Canada first base coach Larry Walker took it upon himself to restrain Aceves.
“I had ahold of him, and I thought I saw Satan in his eyes,” Walker told reporters.
With Team Mexico having been eliminated from the WBC, Aceves will soon return to Red Sox camp. However, Farrell said that he did not yet know when the pitcher would rejoin his club.
Your browser does not support iframes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles