No results from David Ortiz’s MRIs
|03.09.13 at 9:58 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said that no results were yet available from the MRIs that were performed in Fort Myers on both heels of slugger David Ortiz. While Farrell had said prior to Saturday night’s game that the results were expected by the conclusion of the game, that outlook changed by the end of the evening.
“We don’t have the official results yet of the MRIs today. We’re still trying to get the images to a radiologist back in Boston for a read. Nothing even preliminary right now,” said Farrell.
Earlier on Saturday, while the team awaited the results of Ortiz’s MRIs, Farrell suggested that a) this week would help to determine whether the slugger would be available for Opening Day and that b) the April 1 contest in New York does not represent the be-all, end-all for the slugger’s availability.
‘We’ll see how this week goes. We don’t have a date earmarked,’ said Farrell. ‘Our goal is to have David in our lineup for the greatest number of games that we can throughout the course of the year. It’s not like April 1st is a drop-dead date for an entire season. we’re not going to rush to any decision where we’re saying, you know what, opening day is out. ‘¦ He’s frustrated. I think he expected this to be moving along a at a little bit more of a rapid pace. But we support him and we’re going to do whatever we can to get him on the field for the greatest number of at-bats this year.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs