No results from David Ortiz’s MRIs
|03.09.13 at 9:58 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said that no results were yet available from the MRIs that were performed in Fort Myers on both heels of slugger David Ortiz. While Farrell had said prior to Saturday night’s game that the results were expected by the conclusion of the game, that outlook changed by the end of the evening.
“We don’t have the official results yet of the MRIs today. We’re still trying to get the images to a radiologist back in Boston for a read. Nothing even preliminary right now,” said Farrell.
Earlier on Saturday, while the team awaited the results of Ortiz’s MRIs, Farrell suggested that a) this week would help to determine whether the slugger would be available for Opening Day and that b) the April 1 contest in New York does not represent the be-all, end-all for the slugger’s availability.
‘We’ll see how this week goes. We don’t have a date earmarked,’ said Farrell. ‘Our goal is to have David in our lineup for the greatest number of games that we can throughout the course of the year. It’s not like April 1st is a drop-dead date for an entire season. we’re not going to rush to any decision where we’re saying, you know what, opening day is out. ‘¦ He’s frustrated. I think he expected this to be moving along a at a little bit more of a rapid pace. But we support him and we’re going to do whatever we can to get him on the field for the greatest number of at-bats this year.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes