No results from David Ortiz’s MRIs
|03.09.13 at 9:58 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell said that no results were yet available from the MRIs that were performed in Fort Myers on both heels of slugger David Ortiz. While Farrell had said prior to Saturday night’s game that the results were expected by the conclusion of the game, that outlook changed by the end of the evening.
“We don’t have the official results yet of the MRIs today. We’re still trying to get the images to a radiologist back in Boston for a read. Nothing even preliminary right now,” said Farrell.
Earlier on Saturday, while the team awaited the results of Ortiz’s MRIs, Farrell suggested that a) this week would help to determine whether the slugger would be available for Opening Day and that b) the April 1 contest in New York does not represent the be-all, end-all for the slugger’s availability.
‘We’ll see how this week goes. We don’t have a date earmarked,’ said Farrell. ‘Our goal is to have David in our lineup for the greatest number of games that we can throughout the course of the year. It’s not like April 1st is a drop-dead date for an entire season. we’re not going to rush to any decision where we’re saying, you know what, opening day is out. ‘¦ He’s frustrated. I think he expected this to be moving along a at a little bit more of a rapid pace. But we support him and we’re going to do whatever we can to get him on the field for the greatest number of at-bats this year.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland