|Video: Red Sox prospect Matt Barnes pitches in intrasquad game||03.09.13 at 10:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Right-hander Matt Barnes, pitching in an intrasquad game in Red Sox minor league camp, was hit hard by some young prospects. He was taken deep in his first of two innings of work by both Ryan Dent (who finished last year in Triple-A Pawtucket) and Keury De La Cruz (who spent most of last year in Single-A Salem) while also permitting a double to left by 18-year-old shortstop Reymel Flores, who spent last season playing in the Dominican Summer League.
Still, given that this stage of spring represents little more than an exercise in building arm strength and starting to get a feel for pitches, the results mean little. It is worth noting that Barnes threw a couple of good changeups, showing better feel and movement with the pitch than at least one talent evaluator had seen from him in 2012, his first full professional season.
Here is video footage of Barnes’ first inning of work:
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!