Video: Red Sox prospect Matt Barnes pitches in intrasquad game
|03.09.13 at 10:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Right-hander Matt Barnes, pitching in an intrasquad game in Red Sox minor league camp, was hit hard by some young prospects. He was taken deep in his first of two innings of work by both Ryan Dent (who finished last year in Triple-A Pawtucket) and Keury De La Cruz (who spent most of last year in Single-A Salem) while also permitting a double to left by 18-year-old shortstop Reymel Flores, who spent last season playing in the Dominican Summer League.
Still, given that this stage of spring represents little more than an exercise in building arm strength and starting to get a feel for pitches, the results mean little. It is worth noting that Barnes threw a couple of good changeups, showing better feel and movement with the pitch than at least one talent evaluator had seen from him in 2012, his first full professional season.
Here is video footage of Barnes’ first inning of work:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing