Video: Red Sox prospect Matt Barnes pitches in intrasquad game
|03.09.13 at 10:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Right-hander Matt Barnes, pitching in an intrasquad game in Red Sox minor league camp, was hit hard by some young prospects. He was taken deep in his first of two innings of work by both Ryan Dent (who finished last year in Triple-A Pawtucket) and Keury De La Cruz (who spent most of last year in Single-A Salem) while also permitting a double to left by 18-year-old shortstop Reymel Flores, who spent last season playing in the Dominican Summer League.
Still, given that this stage of spring represents little more than an exercise in building arm strength and starting to get a feel for pitches, the results mean little. It is worth noting that Barnes threw a couple of good changeups, showing better feel and movement with the pitch than at least one talent evaluator had seen from him in 2012, his first full professional season.
Here is video footage of Barnes’ first inning of work:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft
- Cup of Coffee: Owens stays strong; Ball delivers best yet
- Cup of Coffee: Steven Wright leads Pawtucket; Meyers powers Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Hassan stays hot; Victorino looks strong in rehab