Video: Red Sox prospect Matt Barnes pitches in intrasquad game
|03.09.13 at 10:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Right-hander Matt Barnes, pitching in an intrasquad game in Red Sox minor league camp, was hit hard by some young prospects. He was taken deep in his first of two innings of work by both Ryan Dent (who finished last year in Triple-A Pawtucket) and Keury De La Cruz (who spent most of last year in Single-A Salem) while also permitting a double to left by 18-year-old shortstop Reymel Flores, who spent last season playing in the Dominican Summer League.
Still, given that this stage of spring represents little more than an exercise in building arm strength and starting to get a feel for pitches, the results mean little. It is worth noting that Barnes threw a couple of good changeups, showing better feel and movement with the pitch than at least one talent evaluator had seen from him in 2012, his first full professional season.
Here is video footage of Barnes’ first inning of work:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox