Video: Red Sox prospect Matt Barnes pitches in intrasquad game
|03.09.13 at 10:09 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Right-hander Matt Barnes, pitching in an intrasquad game in Red Sox minor league camp, was hit hard by some young prospects. He was taken deep in his first of two innings of work by both Ryan Dent (who finished last year in Triple-A Pawtucket) and Keury De La Cruz (who spent most of last year in Single-A Salem) while also permitting a double to left by 18-year-old shortstop Reymel Flores, who spent last season playing in the Dominican Summer League.
Still, given that this stage of spring represents little more than an exercise in building arm strength and starting to get a feel for pitches, the results mean little. It is worth noting that Barnes threw a couple of good changeups, showing better feel and movement with the pitch than at least one talent evaluator had seen from him in 2012, his first full professional season.
Here is video footage of Barnes’ first inning of work:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela