What Shaquille O’Neal told David Ortiz about Achilles injuries
|03.09.13 at 8:25 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — From the time that he suffered his Achilles injury last July, David Ortiz has been seeking answers. He’s talked to fellow baseball players (most recently, discovering that former Red Sox All-Star Dwight Evans spent years managing his Achilles injuries) but, by and large, he’s found that problems in the region have been far more common to NBA players given the pounding that their enormous frames take while running and jumping up and down the hardwood.
And perhaps no player better embodies the idea of a giant placing immense stress on his Achilles than retired great Shaquille O’Neal. O’Neal, Ortiz said, was often in the Boston area last year, following a final NBA season in 2010-11 that was spent with the Celtics, only to be cut short when he could not return from an Achilles injury that ultimately resulted in career-ending surgery.
When Ortiz was initially dealing with his injury last year, still wearing an immobilizing boot while in the Boston area, he ran into the 19-year NBA veteran.
“I bumped into him while I was wearing the boot,” said Ortiz. “We just talked about the first time he started getting pain. He struggled with that. He was a big guy who, when he was doing things, moving around, he was doing damage. At some point, he had to go in and fix it.”
That, Ortiz said, differentiates him from the former Celtics great. (So, too, did O’Neal’s decision to publicize video of his surgery. “Disgusting,” Ortiz said, with a mix of awe and revulsion.) Still, O’Neal did have some practical advice to give the Red Sox slugger.
“Big guys, that kind of injury, we carry more weight. You use your Achilles for everything. There’s nothing you do without using your Achilles, so it definitely takes longer than if a little guy injures his Achilles,” said Ortiz. “So, just be smart about it. you don’t want to get it worse. That’s the same thing I’ve been hearing from everybody.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort