What Shaquille O’Neal told David Ortiz about Achilles injuries
|03.09.13 at 8:25 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — From the time that he suffered his Achilles injury last July, David Ortiz has been seeking answers. He’s talked to fellow baseball players (most recently, discovering that former Red Sox All-Star Dwight Evans spent years managing his Achilles injuries) but, by and large, he’s found that problems in the region have been far more common to NBA players given the pounding that their enormous frames take while running and jumping up and down the hardwood.
And perhaps no player better embodies the idea of a giant placing immense stress on his Achilles than retired great Shaquille O’Neal. O’Neal, Ortiz said, was often in the Boston area last year, following a final NBA season in 2010-11 that was spent with the Celtics, only to be cut short when he could not return from an Achilles injury that ultimately resulted in career-ending surgery.
When Ortiz was initially dealing with his injury last year, still wearing an immobilizing boot while in the Boston area, he ran into the 19-year NBA veteran.
“I bumped into him while I was wearing the boot,” said Ortiz. “We just talked about the first time he started getting pain. He struggled with that. He was a big guy who, when he was doing things, moving around, he was doing damage. At some point, he had to go in and fix it.”
That, Ortiz said, differentiates him from the former Celtics great. (So, too, did O’Neal’s decision to publicize video of his surgery. “Disgusting,” Ortiz said, with a mix of awe and revulsion.) Still, O’Neal did have some practical advice to give the Red Sox slugger.
“Big guys, that kind of injury, we carry more weight. You use your Achilles for everything. There’s nothing you do without using your Achilles, so it definitely takes longer than if a little guy injures his Achilles,” said Ortiz. “So, just be smart about it. you don’t want to get it worse. That’s the same thing I’ve been hearing from everybody.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot