David Ortiz shut down at least 5-7 days; Opening Day in doubt
|03.10.13 at 4:29 pm ET|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — Red Sox DH David Ortiz, following a pair of MRIs on Saturday, has been shut down for what is expected to be at least five to seven days due to inflammation in both of his heels, manager John Farrell said after the Red Sox’ 6-2 spring training win over the Tampa Bay Rays. The 37-year-old is experiencing more inflammation in his right heel than his left, though Farrell said that the current condition is distinct from the right Achilles injury that left him able to play just one game after last July 26.
The MRI did not reveal any issues with the previously injured Achilles. It is not known if the issues with the heels was due to overcompensation from his original injury.
“It does reveal some inflammation in the bony area of the heel so he’s dealing with that,” Farrell said. “That’s where his discomfort is being felt. And as a result, we’re going to shut him down for a few days here to let that quiet down completely before we start to initiate any kind of baseball activities after that.
“Again, it’s separate from any kind of previous issues that he dealt with. It’s in the bone/tendon juncture where he’s feeling the inflammation and the MRI shows it in that specific area.”
With the time off, and the fact that Opening Day getting closer and closer, Farrell didn’t sound optimistic that Ortiz would be ready for April 1.
“I mean, we’re three weeks away. He’s going to need at-bats,” the manager explained. “We’re not forgoing Opening Day right now, but we’re starting to get into an area where … depending on how many days we need to shut him down, that’s going to have a direct affect, a direct bearing on where we are come Opening Day.”
Ortiz was in Fort Myers on Sunday, but did not take part in baseball activities before being informed of the results of the MRI by the team’s training staff. Ortiz declined comment on his condition, deferring the matter to Farrell.
“Absolutely. Absolutely,” the manager said when asked if the organization was somewhat heartened by the diagnosis. “I can’t say that we’re completely surprised that there’s some ‘¦ once baseball activities got ramped up, the volume starts to pick up, the intensity increases. We felt like there was going to be some physical effects that would have to be dealt with. The bigger picture is, he’s improved over a year ago and progress continues to be made, yet we’re at a little bit of a bump in the road here.
“I think any time we can give some assurance that there’s no re-injury, there’s no further damage of any kind, that’s got to give some peace of mind. Yet the frustration exists because of not being on the field.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday