Red Sox notes: Still waiting on David Ortiz’ MRI results; Stephen Drew remains sidelined
|03.10.13 at 1:17 pm ET|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – The wait for David Ortiz’ results continue.
Prior to the Red Sox’ game with the Rays, manager John Farrell explained that the team still hadn’t heard word regarding the MRIs conducted on Ortiz’ heels.
Farrell said he talked Ortiz at JetBlue Park earlier Sunday.
“The frustration is still there,” the manager said. “I think until he gets a definitive …. Or until we get a definitive plan with him, which will take into account the findings, or lack therof, in the MRI, and then set out a plan going forward.
“I think most importantly at this point, as long as David is fully aware of everything that is going on or what he’s experiencing or feeling, and if there’s no risk of additional damage …. I think that has a chance to maybe focus some of the work and answer some of those questions that might be in his mind right now.”
- Stephen Drew hasn’t fully recovered from his mild concussion, leading to another day of rest, Sunday.
Drew will have to clear through the league’s testing before he can return to action.
- Franklin Morales, who is dealing with a back ailment, has had to back off his throwing program after feeling some continued tightness. He had moved out to 90 feet in his long-tossing before the reoccurrence of the injury.
- Farrell raved about the attitude surrounding the team, having carried over the conversation after praising Mike Napoli’s approach.
“There’s a lot to be said for the people we have in our clubhouse,” he said. “Guys want to be here. They like being around one another. They work well together, as far as we’ve seen so far. That side of it has been outstanding.
When asked about the team’s intent to bring in players of character during the offseason, Farrell said, “I think we’re seeing that play out. The character of individuals is equivalent to the talents of the players themselves, and that was certainly by design.”
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Surprise wins title, struggles continue for Webster