Video: Left-hander Henry Owens works in an intrasquad game
|03.10.13 at 5:43 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox left-hander Henry Owens had a strong showing in his first spring intrasquad game on Saturday, showing both power on his fastball as well as good action on both a curveball and changeup.
That three-pitch mix allowed Owens to overwhelm opponents in the Single-A South Atlantic League at times in 2012, his first full professional season. Among pitchers with at least 100 innings pitched last year, Owens led the minors with 11.51 strikeouts per nine innings.
He finished the year with a 4.87 ERA and 4.16 walks per nine innings, along with 10 homers permitted in 101 2/3 innings. Still, in terms of stuff, Owens’ three-pitch mix (along with an advanced feel for pitching, whether up and down in the strike zone or sequencing his pitches to disrupt timing) suggests a ceiling that can rival that of virtually any starter in the team’s system (save, perhaps, for Allen Webster, given the right-hander’s four-pitch arsenal and ability to generate high-90s velocity with sink). Whether he can command and find a way to do a better job of inducing bad contact (particularly groundballs) ultimately will determine how close Owens gets to that ceiling, but still, the 20-year-old has shown considerable promise at an early stage of his pro career.
Here’s video from the first of his two innings of intrasquad work on Saturday:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing