Video: Left-hander Henry Owens works in an intrasquad game
|03.10.13 at 5:43 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox left-hander Henry Owens had a strong showing in his first spring intrasquad game on Saturday, showing both power on his fastball as well as good action on both a curveball and changeup.
That three-pitch mix allowed Owens to overwhelm opponents in the Single-A South Atlantic League at times in 2012, his first full professional season. Among pitchers with at least 100 innings pitched last year, Owens led the minors with 11.51 strikeouts per nine innings.
He finished the year with a 4.87 ERA and 4.16 walks per nine innings, along with 10 homers permitted in 101 2/3 innings. Still, in terms of stuff, Owens’ three-pitch mix (along with an advanced feel for pitching, whether up and down in the strike zone or sequencing his pitches to disrupt timing) suggests a ceiling that can rival that of virtually any starter in the team’s system (save, perhaps, for Allen Webster, given the right-hander’s four-pitch arsenal and ability to generate high-90s velocity with sink). Whether he can command and find a way to do a better job of inducing bad contact (particularly groundballs) ultimately will determine how close Owens gets to that ceiling, but still, the 20-year-old has shown considerable promise at an early stage of his pro career.
Here’s video from the first of his two innings of intrasquad work on Saturday:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles