Video: Left-hander Henry Owens works in an intrasquad game
|03.10.13 at 5:43 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox left-hander Henry Owens had a strong showing in his first spring intrasquad game on Saturday, showing both power on his fastball as well as good action on both a curveball and changeup.
That three-pitch mix allowed Owens to overwhelm opponents in the Single-A South Atlantic League at times in 2012, his first full professional season. Among pitchers with at least 100 innings pitched last year, Owens led the minors with 11.51 strikeouts per nine innings.
He finished the year with a 4.87 ERA and 4.16 walks per nine innings, along with 10 homers permitted in 101 2/3 innings. Still, in terms of stuff, Owens’ three-pitch mix (along with an advanced feel for pitching, whether up and down in the strike zone or sequencing his pitches to disrupt timing) suggests a ceiling that can rival that of virtually any starter in the team’s system (save, perhaps, for Allen Webster, given the right-hander’s four-pitch arsenal and ability to generate high-90s velocity with sink). Whether he can command and find a way to do a better job of inducing bad contact (particularly groundballs) ultimately will determine how close Owens gets to that ceiling, but still, the 20-year-old has shown considerable promise at an early stage of his pro career.
Here’s video from the first of his two innings of intrasquad work on Saturday:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?