Former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly dealing with elbow woes
|03.13.13 at 7:04 pm ET|
Former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly, the centerpiece of the deal that netted the Sox Adrian Gonzalez after the 2010 season, had his sore right elbow examined by team doctors in San Diego, according to Corey Brock of MLB.com. Initial reports sound ominous, with manager Bud Black (as reported by Brock) suggesting, “The doctors are concerned what the tests look like,” and that Kelly will have to talk with his family while also perhaps receiving a second opinion, hints that Tommy John surgery might be necessary on the 23-year-old.
Kelly missed much of last year due to a right elbow strain, but he was able to avoid Tommy John surgery and eventually reached the big leagues, where he won his major league debut by tossing six shutout innings before finishing the year with a 2-4 record and 6.21 ERA in six starts.
Kelly was taken by the Red Sox in the first round (No. 30 overall) of the 2008 draft, agreeing to a $3 million two-sport bonus to pass on an opportunity to play quarterback and baseball at the University of Tennessee. He emerged as the top prospect in the Red Sox organization before getting dealt, along with Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and Eric Patterson, to the Padres for Gonzalez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome