Former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly dealing with elbow woes
|03.13.13 at 7:04 pm ET|
Former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly, the centerpiece of the deal that netted the Sox Adrian Gonzalez after the 2010 season, had his sore right elbow examined by team doctors in San Diego, according to Corey Brock of MLB.com. Initial reports sound ominous, with manager Bud Black (as reported by Brock) suggesting, “The doctors are concerned what the tests look like,” and that Kelly will have to talk with his family while also perhaps receiving a second opinion, hints that Tommy John surgery might be necessary on the 23-year-old.
Kelly missed much of last year due to a right elbow strain, but he was able to avoid Tommy John surgery and eventually reached the big leagues, where he won his major league debut by tossing six shutout innings before finishing the year with a 2-4 record and 6.21 ERA in six starts.
Kelly was taken by the Red Sox in the first round (No. 30 overall) of the 2008 draft, agreeing to a $3 million two-sport bonus to pass on an opportunity to play quarterback and baseball at the University of Tennessee. He emerged as the top prospect in the Red Sox organization before getting dealt, along with Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and Eric Patterson, to the Padres for Gonzalez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart continues to sizzle, Witte impresses for Sea Dogs