Former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly dealing with elbow woes
|03.13.13 at 7:04 pm ET|
Former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly, the centerpiece of the deal that netted the Sox Adrian Gonzalez after the 2010 season, had his sore right elbow examined by team doctors in San Diego, according to Corey Brock of MLB.com. Initial reports sound ominous, with manager Bud Black (as reported by Brock) suggesting, “The doctors are concerned what the tests look like,” and that Kelly will have to talk with his family while also perhaps receiving a second opinion, hints that Tommy John surgery might be necessary on the 23-year-old.
Kelly missed much of last year due to a right elbow strain, but he was able to avoid Tommy John surgery and eventually reached the big leagues, where he won his major league debut by tossing six shutout innings before finishing the year with a 2-4 record and 6.21 ERA in six starts.
Kelly was taken by the Red Sox in the first round (No. 30 overall) of the 2008 draft, agreeing to a $3 million two-sport bonus to pass on an opportunity to play quarterback and baseball at the University of Tennessee. He emerged as the top prospect in the Red Sox organization before getting dealt, along with Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and Eric Patterson, to the Padres for Gonzalez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP