Flacco coming to Boston: Red Sox trade for quarterback’s brother
|03.15.13 at 7:11 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Flacco family will have a chance to make amends with Boston sports fans.
An infielder, the 26-year-old Flacco played primarily at Single-A Frederick last season, and was expected to compete for the starting first base job at Double-A Bowie in the coming season. With Frederick he hit .218 in 103 games, hitting eight home runs and finishing with a .626 OPS. In four professional seasons, the former 31st-round pick hit a combined .216 with a .613 OPS.
‘Mike had a few years with us and the Red Sox had some interest,’ Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette told the Baltimore Sun regarding the 6-foot-6 Flacco. ‘And we thought this would be a better opportunity for him. We talk to clubs every day to see if we have a match, and on this one we had a match’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads