Red Sox roster moves: Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, Christian Vazquez sent down
|03.15.13 at 7:37 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox made three cuts from major league camp Friday, sending pitchers Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster to Triple-A Pawtucket, and catcher Christian Vazquez to Double-A.
With the moves, the Red Sox now have 48 players in big league camp, including 34 from the 40-man roster, one on the 60-day disabled list and 13 non-roster invitees.
De La Rosa impressed early on in camp (with Pedro Martinez surmising he could be as good as Roger Clemens or Juan Marichal), but ran into some command issues in his last two outings. The righty, who, along with Webster, came over from the Dodgers last August, allowed eight runs in 2 2/3 innings while walking five in his last pair of appearances.
Webster has been one of the bright spots of camp for the Red Sox, flashing a high 90′s fastball, along with a put-away changeup. The righty made a few small adjustments (click here for details), leading Red Sox manager John Farrell to describe him simply as “pretty damn good” after the pitcher’s last outing. In four outings, Webster struck out 14, walked one and allowed two earned runs in 11 innings.
Vazquez was also a standout in camp, impressing with a lightning quick delivery to second on stolen base attempts. The catcher gunned down all four baserunners attempting to steal against him, while also picking off a runner. (For more on Vazquez click here.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft