David Ortiz not quite sure he will be hitting Monday
|03.16.13 at 3:42 pm ET|
When asked about the timetable Saturday afternoon, Ortiz wouldn’t commit one way or another, simply saying, ‘Getting there.’
When asked if he felt better than when he initially stopped activities due to inflammation in both heels, Ortiz responded, ‘Probably.’
He later added when asked what was planned, ‘Once I get better, I’ll have an idea. But I’m not there yet.’
Earlier Saturday, Farrell reiterated that the plan heading into the season without Ortiz was to rotate players in the DH position according to matchups.
One possibility, Ryan Lavarnway, was broached by Farrell prior to the Red Sox’ game against the Rays.
‘For guys that haven’t been strictly a DH, that’s a challenging routine for them,’ the manager said. ‘Particularly a catcher who’s in the flow of every pitch thrown and then you got nothing, being completely idle and walk up to the plate a little more cold. We haven’t settled on any one combination or front-runner for that matter on who would be in David’s slot. We know it’s going to be a match-up situation.’
Farrell said he hasn’t talked to Jarrod Saltalamacchia about the possibility of serving as a part-time designated hitter. The catcher spent 13 games at DH in 2012 after Ortiz was shut down with his Achilles tendon injury.
‘We’ve focused on a number of things behind the plate and have been very clear that he’s our lead catcher and don’t want to veer off of that,’ Farrell explained.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster