David Ortiz not quite sure he will be hitting Monday
|03.16.13 at 3:42 pm ET|
When asked about the timetable Saturday afternoon, Ortiz wouldn’t commit one way or another, simply saying, ‘Getting there.’
When asked if he felt better than when he initially stopped activities due to inflammation in both heels, Ortiz responded, ‘Probably.’
He later added when asked what was planned, ‘Once I get better, I’ll have an idea. But I’m not there yet.’
Earlier Saturday, Farrell reiterated that the plan heading into the season without Ortiz was to rotate players in the DH position according to matchups.
One possibility, Ryan Lavarnway, was broached by Farrell prior to the Red Sox’ game against the Rays.
‘For guys that haven’t been strictly a DH, that’s a challenging routine for them,’ the manager said. ‘Particularly a catcher who’s in the flow of every pitch thrown and then you got nothing, being completely idle and walk up to the plate a little more cold. We haven’t settled on any one combination or front-runner for that matter on who would be in David’s slot. We know it’s going to be a match-up situation.’
Farrell said he hasn’t talked to Jarrod Saltalamacchia about the possibility of serving as a part-time designated hitter. The catcher spent 13 games at DH in 2012 after Ortiz was shut down with his Achilles tendon injury.
‘We’ve focused on a number of things behind the plate and have been very clear that he’s our lead catcher and don’t want to veer off of that,’ Farrell explained.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester