David Ortiz not quite sure he will be hitting Monday
|03.16.13 at 3:42 pm ET|
When asked about the timetable Saturday afternoon, Ortiz wouldn’t commit one way or another, simply saying, ‘Getting there.’
When asked if he felt better than when he initially stopped activities due to inflammation in both heels, Ortiz responded, ‘Probably.’
He later added when asked what was planned, ‘Once I get better, I’ll have an idea. But I’m not there yet.’
Earlier Saturday, Farrell reiterated that the plan heading into the season without Ortiz was to rotate players in the DH position according to matchups.
One possibility, Ryan Lavarnway, was broached by Farrell prior to the Red Sox’ game against the Rays.
‘For guys that haven’t been strictly a DH, that’s a challenging routine for them,’ the manager said. ‘Particularly a catcher who’s in the flow of every pitch thrown and then you got nothing, being completely idle and walk up to the plate a little more cold. We haven’t settled on any one combination or front-runner for that matter on who would be in David’s slot. We know it’s going to be a match-up situation.’
Farrell said he hasn’t talked to Jarrod Saltalamacchia about the possibility of serving as a part-time designated hitter. The catcher spent 13 games at DH in 2012 after Ortiz was shut down with his Achilles tendon injury.
‘We’ve focused on a number of things behind the plate and have been very clear that he’s our lead catcher and don’t want to veer off of that,’ Farrell explained.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven