David Ortiz not quite sure he will be hitting Monday
|03.16.13 at 3:42 pm ET|
When asked about the timetable Saturday afternoon, Ortiz wouldn’t commit one way or another, simply saying, ‘Getting there.’
When asked if he felt better than when he initially stopped activities due to inflammation in both heels, Ortiz responded, ‘Probably.’
He later added when asked what was planned, ‘Once I get better, I’ll have an idea. But I’m not there yet.’
Earlier Saturday, Farrell reiterated that the plan heading into the season without Ortiz was to rotate players in the DH position according to matchups.
One possibility, Ryan Lavarnway, was broached by Farrell prior to the Red Sox’ game against the Rays.
‘For guys that haven’t been strictly a DH, that’s a challenging routine for them,’ the manager said. ‘Particularly a catcher who’s in the flow of every pitch thrown and then you got nothing, being completely idle and walk up to the plate a little more cold. We haven’t settled on any one combination or front-runner for that matter on who would be in David’s slot. We know it’s going to be a match-up situation.’
Farrell said he hasn’t talked to Jarrod Saltalamacchia about the possibility of serving as a part-time designated hitter. The catcher spent 13 games at DH in 2012 after Ortiz was shut down with his Achilles tendon injury.
‘We’ve focused on a number of things behind the plate and have been very clear that he’s our lead catcher and don’t want to veer off of that,’ Farrell explained.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs