It appears Daisuke Matsuzaka will begin season in minor leagues
|03.18.13 at 6:02 pm ET|
Daisuke Matsuzaka‘s career hit another bump in the road Monday.
The former Red Sox pitcher was told by former Red Sox manager Terry Francona that he would not be making the Indians’ major league team. The Indians manager also informed veteran Matt Capps he also wouldn’t be breaking camp with the big league team.
Both Matsuzaka and Capps were with the Indians on minor league deals.
‘Just didn’t want to create any unrealistic expectations, thought it was respectful to tell them,’ Francona told reporters.
Matsuzaka only pitched eight innings in spring training, totaling a 2.25 ERA while allowing 10 hits. He was recently battling leg cramps.
There is a strong possibility the right-hander will remain in the Cleveland organization, possibly pitching for Triple-A Columbus.
‘Having Tito here is big,’ Matsuzaka told reporters through translator Jeff Cutler. ‘In speaking with Tito and [Cleveland general manager] Chris [Antonetti] this morning, they told me that they want me on this club and they see me on this club. Having heard that directly from them, definitely made me feel comfortable staying here.’
Scott Kazmir, Carlos Carrasco, Trevor Bauer and Corey Kluber are contending for the Indians’ fifth starter spot.
If Matsuzaka had made the major league roster, the 32-year-old would have made $1.5 million with the chance to bump that up to $4 million with incentives.
‘This is not the end,’ he told reporters. ‘This is definitely not the end.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot