Ryan Dempster gives seven reasons why he wiggles his glove before delivering a pitch
|03.18.13 at 9:58 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — When you watch Ryan Dempster pitch from the windup, you will notice a unique element to his delivery: He twitches his glove ever so slightly just before delivering each offering. Why? Here are the reasons he gives:
1. “Keep myself cool”
2. “To wave the catcher out mid-pitch”
3. “To show off my Rawlings sponsorship and make sure the camera sees it”
4. “For timing”
5. “To be able to scuff the ball in my glove as I’m twisting it”
6. “I like the smell of leather. Fresh leather smells really good”
7. “Prevent myself from tipping pitches”
The real reason? Here is what he explained in a 2011 interview with Baseball Nation:
“Ah my glove wiggle, I think my glove wiggle started just before spring training in 2008. Tyler Colvin was standing in the batter’s box and said he could see my hands moving. Kevin Millar suggested I try moving the glove a little and changed my grip. Started wiggling and now I can’t stop, you should see me take a casserole out of the oven, and I do the same thing with my oven mitt on.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins