David Ortiz resumes swinging
|03.19.13 at 5:57 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz, who had not taken part in baseball activities since March 9 while resting to calm the inflammation in his right heel, took 50 swings in the batting cage on Tuesday, according to manager John Farrell. The team will wait to see how he feels on Wednesday in order to determine the next course of action with the sidelined slugger. Still, given that an anticipated return to hitting on Monday had to be postponed due to lingering discomfort in his right heel, the fact that Ortiz felt good enough to swing in the cage represents a measure of progress for a player who has not participated in games since last August 24.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada