Brandon Workman takes stock of ‘exciting’ opportunity to face Phillies
|03.24.13 at 4:22 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Right-hander Brandon Workman, brought over from minor league camp to get the start against a lineup full of Phillies big league regulars, turned in a solid outing. He mixed a 91-95 mph fastball with a few good curveballs (including one to strike out Chase Utley), and in his last inning, he fired some good cutters and changeups. While his line — three innings, two runs, three hits, two walks, a strikeout — wasn’t memorable, he threw well, with the runs scoring in no small part due to some defensive lapses behind him. Workman felt good about how his stuff played against a lineup, and thrilled with the opportunity — to the point where he walked the leadoff batter in the first.
“It wasn’t so much nerves as it was adrenaline. I was excited to be up there, excited to be throwing in a big league game against big league hitters with big leaguers behind me,” said Workman. “I was excited, left a few balls up, walked the leadoff guy and then was able to make some adjustments, control that adrenaline and start pitching.
“That was really exciting, to go up there and have those guys — obviously I’ve watched them play in World Series and all that stuff. So it was really cool to get up there, get a chance to pitch and get a chance to see how my stuff plays against that caliber of lineup,” he added. “When I was locating and ahead in counts, I thought I did well. I had a couple hitters where I left fastballs up and walked them. Other than two hitters, I thought I had a pretty good outing.”
Workman will open the year in Double-A Portland, but the fact that he had the opportunity to pitch in this game underscores his standing in the organization as a pitcher who projects to make an impact in the big leagues, perhaps as soon as this season or next.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins